AIM Randomly uses 100% of CPU Time

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

If you are having the problem where AIM or AIM+ "randomly uses 100% of your CPU", please help me by answering these questions:

1) how long does it use 100% of your CPU after it starts? forever? just a few seconds, several minutes?

2) what are you AIM+ settings? (especially the following: do you have logging turned on, transparency turned on, FadeDown turned on, Solid on Top turned on?)

3) What OS are you running, and what version of AIM?

I still haven't reproduced this myself, so maybe this will help me as well.

Thanks!
-Ryan
Big-O Software
hartmanw

Post by hartmanw »

1) how long does it use 100% of your CPU after it starts? forever? just a few seconds, several minutes?

>>anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes

2) what are you AIM+ settings? (especially the following: do you have logging turned on, transparency turned on, FadeDown turned on, Solid on Top turned on?)

>>Loggin on or off, Transparency on, Fadedown on or off

Winxp Pro & Lastest AIM
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

hartmanw: thank you for posting this information.

I strongly suspect this has something to do with transparency. Are you sure it happens when you have FadeDown turned Off? I am also thinking that it is a problem with the "FadeDown" feature.

For anyone else who is having this problem, please post the same information hartmanw did, all the input I can get will help.

Also, it might help to know what type of hardware you've got (all I care about for this is the Mhz/Ghz of your processor, and your video card).

Thanks for your help and feedback, everyone, hopefully this problem will be gone soon! :)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
c0dex

Post by c0dex »

My friend, who is not very computer savy, had the same problem - without aim+. I'm fairly certain that its the result of a virus.
Joe

Post by Joe »

1) After running AIM/AIM+ for a couple hours, AIM/AIM+ starts using 90%-100% of CPU forever until I restart my computer.

2) I have logging turned on, transparency OFF, fadedown OFF, Solid on top OFF

3) Running Windows XP Pro and Aim ver. 4.7.2480

When AIM/AIM+ starts using all the resources, my computer is unusable, it's just too slow. I have an Athlon 1.33GHz and 256MB DDR

Post by Guest »

I'm seeing AMD and XP a lot in this thread :)
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Interesting observation... I do have an Athlon, and Windows XP, but still have yet to see this problem yet :(.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
pv

Post by pv »

i just started to encounter the said problem!.... i've been using aim for a while now, and i noticed my computer running a little bit sluggish, so i cheked my task manager and saw AIM.EXE taking up 99% cpu usage, (not aim+).... i also notice the longer i leave it the more ram it uses (very slowly increases)... it was up to 100megs of RAM at the time.... a memory leak possibly? but why did it start happening now?

by closing and reopening aim/aim+ it fixes... but happens again, after a while.... (a while meaning 5-6hrs+)

i'm running a AMD Athlon XP 1800, Asus nvidia 415d chipset... i got transparency on...

another strange problem has started to occur as well.... i get a pop up window (aim style), and tells me that there isint enough memory anymore for the fonts, and that the fonts will be substituted... clicking ok does nothing, and i notice nothing different/wrong.... i will try to get the exact error message i saw...

i just upgraded my AIM, and will check for a updated AIM+ version as well... to see if this helps..

oops, forgot to mention i am using a asus GF3 ti 200 card...

ps : aim+ is awesome... thanks! :D
Guardian

Post by Guardian »

This problem has been occurring often to me. The problem only started since I installed AIM+. It seems that if I ever try to delete something, for instance (I was cleaning off my desktop today), the computer freezes, and the only thing that responds is AIM+. I currently had AIM+, Winamp, MSN messenger (With a Plus program), and Microsoft word running. I tried it on normal AIM, and it doesn't freeze.

WindowsME
AIM v4.7.2480
AIM+ v2.2

It takes it for several minutes. It's like when I try to close a window, or something it still appears in the background, but it's inactive. Like a ghost of it or something.

Logging - on. I can't support the other features.

Answered them in the previous post.
TheHeadFL
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by TheHeadFL »

As for no memory for fonts, that sounds like the old AIM Filter font punt. And as for huge memory usage, that sounds like the old bad icon punt. Somebody maybe doesn't like you? :)

Now this CPU usage thing... I haven't experienced it. I do think, however, that in my experience AIM is a very CPU/memory hungry program. As for AIM+ causing this, I don't see how it could unless it somehow involved polling aim for new data to log (I don't actually know if it does this or uses Callbacks instead) but if it were to poll, and at too short an interval, that could cause these CPU usage things. Just my 0.02
LiL
Just Registered
Just Registered

Same

Post by LiL »

I am currently using a P3 800 w/ 512MB ram, using the latest AIM+ and AIM, have also experienced the same problem. Using the Windows XP Task manager, it is clear that AIM.exe uses abnormally high percentage of CPU power, it seems to increase as the numbers of AIM windows are present. To reproduce the problem, we simply just start out aim and chat as regularly(usually about 4+ chat windows would reproduce the problem) This does not happen without AIM+ running, and only happened to AIM after AIM+ is inuse. The only way to reclaim the cpu power back is to restart AIM or to restart computer. Settings as follow:
Cloning: On/Off
Remove Ads: On
Show Menu Bar: On/Off
Allow Stock Ticker: Off
Im/Chat History: On
Transparency: On/Off
Version Reminder: On/Off
Show General Buttons: Off
Show Online/List Tabs: Off
Show Buddy List Buttons: Off
I personally think that AIM+ is causing the problem, as many users already mentioned, it only happens when AIM+ is running... Hope it will be fixed soon.
lordicarus

Post by lordicarus »

AIM+ started crashing on me and using 100%(at random times) of system resources only after upgrading to AIM 4.8.2790
nmrim
Addict
Addict

Post by nmrim »

hey guys i was just wondering if you ever figured out what the deal was with this. i was having no problems with aim until i downloaded aim+. i have xp professional, aim 4.7.2480, aim+ 2.2.1, pentium iii, 801 mhz, 240 mb ram. it used 100% of my cpu and crashed today after it had been on for a few hours. there were no windows open. sometimes when i put on an away message and come back hours later i get an aim style font error just as pv described. i've had a max of two chat windows open and sometimes none at all. logging is always on. having transparency on/off didn't seem to make a difference (crashed both ways). fade down is on. solid when active on. i left aim+ on (with away message) for hours today and it didn't crash. when looking at my system information it shows an application error (aim.exe) for each time it has crashed. it shows three different modules attributed to the crash. not sure that has anything to do with anything (assuming since it is inconsistent that it doesn't). the only common denominator i've found is aim+ but it doesn't really make much sense. i love aim+ and i'm not going to stop using it. maybe this will help...maybe it won't. i just hope you guys can figure out what's wrong.
jen

wish i could claim it but my soul is not that beautiful... www.normalform.com
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

After much thinking and observation from reading all these posts, I have come to conclude that WinXP may be the culprit. As for it already being a huge Theme on top of Win2000(NT), the OS already takes up lots of RAM.

I myself run Win2000 PRO and have been using AIM for years and AIM+ for quite a while now, and have never had any of these 100% CPU usage, RAM problems as you guys describe with either program.

The most CPU time I get is "0:00:10" and that is AIM alone. AIM+ doesnt ever use any, or it seems. But these are just my suggestions...

AIM version 4.8.2790
AIM+ version 2.2.1 build 65
adma84
Just Registered
Just Registered

CPU usage

Post by adma84 »

Yea the same thing happens to my girlfriends computer, but doesnt happen to mine. i mean, you cant even open up two windows without like a 5 second? lag or so

It starts as soon as AIM+ is started up, once I close it, computer runs as normal

2) what are you AIM+ settings? (especially the following: do you have logging turned on, transparency turned on, FadeDown turned on, Solid on Top turned on?) most of that stuff is turned on, but I have the same things, and I have no problems

she is running XP pro on a p4 chip at 1.6gHz. My setting are almost the exact same, yet I dont have the problem.

When I close AIM+ and open regular AIM.exe her comp runs normal. SO I just thought Id add to the thread...