[STORY] Host of 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' dies at 74

Books, Movies, Music, TV, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

harra
Veteran
Veteran

[STORY] Host of 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' dies at 74

Post by harra »

For those of us old enough to remember the days before children's programming on cable (Nickelodean was in it's infancy) might remember Mr. Rogers. He is dead
USA Today wrote: Host of 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' dies at 74
http://www.usatoday.com/life/television ... gers_x.htm
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Fred Rogers, who gently invited millions of children to be his neighbor as host of the public television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood for more than 30 years, died of cancer early Thursday. He was 74.

ImageFred Rogers, better known as "Mister Rogers," was 74.
AP file

Rogers died at his Pittsburgh home, said family spokesman David Newell, who played Mr. McFeely on the show. Rogers had been diagnosed with stomach cancer sometime after the holidays, Newell said.

"He was so genuinely, genuinely kind, a wonderful person," Newell said. "His mission was to work with families and children for television. ... That was his passion, his mission, and he did it from day one."

From 1968 to 2000, Rogers, an ordained Presbyterian minister, produced the show at Pittsburgh public television station WQED. The final new episode, which was taped in December 2000, aired in August 2001, though PBS affiliates continued to air back episodes.

Rogers composed his own songs for the show and began each episode in a set made to look like a comfortable living room, singing "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood," as he donned sneakers and a zip-up cardigan.

"I have really never considered myself a TV star," Rogers said in a 1995 interview. "I always thought I was a neighbor who just came in for a visit."

His message remained simple: telling his viewers to love themselves and others. On each show, he would take his audience on a magical trolley ride into the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, where his puppet creations would interact with each other and adults.

Rogers did much of the puppet work and voices himself.

Rogers taught children how to share, deal with anger and even why they shouldn't fear the bathtub by assuring them they'll never go down the drain.

During the Persian Gulf War, Rogers told youngsters that "all children shall be well taken care of in this neighborhood and beyond — in times of war and in times of peace," and he asked parents to promise their children they would always be safe.

"We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility," he said in 1994. "It's easy to say 'It's not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem.'

"Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes."

Rogers came out of broadcasting retirement last year to record four public service announcements for the Public Broadcasting Service telling parents how to help their children deal with the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

"They don't understand what an anniversary is, and if they see the tragedy replayed on television, they might think it's happening at that moment," he said.

Rogers' show won four Emmy Awards, plus one for lifetime achievement. He was given a George Foster Peabody Award in 1993, "in recognition of 25 years of beautiful days in the neighborhood."

At a ceremony marking the show's 25th anniversary in 1993, Rogers said, "It's not the honors and not the titles and not the power that is of ultimate importance. It's what resides inside."

The show's ratings peaked in 1985-86 when about 8% of all U.S. households with televisions tuned in. By the 1999-2000 season, viewership had dropped to about 2.7%, or 3.6 million people.

One of Rogers' red sweaters hangs in the Smithsonian Institution.

As other children's programming opted for slick action cartoons, Rogers stayed the same and stuck to his soothing message.

Rogers was born in Latrobe, 30 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. He was ordained in 1963 with a charge to continue his work with children and families through television.

He studied early childhood development at the University of Pittsburgh's graduate school and consulted for decades with the late Margaret McFarland, an eminent child development expert at the university. The show examined the tribulations of childhood, including anger, fear, even a visit to the dentist.

Off the set, Rogers was much like his television persona. He swam daily, read voraciously and listened to Beethoven. He once volunteered at a state prison in Pittsburgh and helped set up a playroom there for children visiting their parents.

Rogers was an unseen puppeteer in The Children's Corner, a local show he and Josie Carey launched at WQED in 1954. In seven years of unscripted, live television on the show, he developed many of the puppets used in Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, including King Friday XIII, Daniel Striped Tiger and Curious X the Owl.

In 1963, Rogers accepted an offer to develop "Misterogers," his own 15-minute show, for the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. He brought the show back to Pittsburgh in 1966, incorporating segments of the CBC show into a new series being distributed by the Eastern Educational Network.

In 1968, Misterogers' Neighborhood was distributed through National Educational Television, which later became Public Broadcasting Service.

Rogers' gentle manner was the butt of some comedian's jokes. Eddie Murphy parodied him on Saturday Night Live in the 80's with his Mister Robinson's Neighborhood, a routine Rogers found funny and affectionate.

Rogers is survived by his wife, Joanne, a concert pianist; two sons and two grandsons.
USA Today wrote: MR. ROGERS QUOTES

Quotes from Fred Rogers, host of 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, from Associated Press interviews.

"People say to my wife, 'What's he like?' What you see is what you get. It's just who I happen to be."

"I feel the greatest gift we can give to anybody is the gift of our honest self."

"Of course, I get angry. Of course, I get sad. I have a full range of emotions. I also have a whole smorgasbord of ways of dealing with my feelings. That is what we should give children. Give them ... ways to express their rage without hurting themselves or somebody else. That's what the world needs."

"I have really never considered myself a TV star. I always thought I was a neighbor who just came in for a visit."

"You know, you don't have to look like everybody else to be acceptable and to feel acceptable."

"I have a very modulated way of dealing with my anger. I have always tried to understand the other person and invariably I've discovered that somebody who rubs you the wrong way has been rubbed the wrong way many times."

"We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It's easy to say, 'It's not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem.' Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes."

"There's a generous current in the American spirit. And if we can simply give voice to that once in a while, I think it's a good message.".
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'm only 19 and remeber that show. I believe it was pretty good during the time I was at the age it was directed toward.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

My parents were very strict in what we could watch unsupervised. So up until 8th or 9th grade I was pretty much restricted to PBS and Nickelodeon and we didn't get cable until probably 7th grade. So I pretty much grew up with those childrens programs. That is also what got me to be a big fan of home improvement shows. My dad used to laugh because when I was still in my single digits I was hooked on This Old House
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

:o

...I'll go and cry now.. :(
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I remeber grewing up watching that show. Also I know something about Mr. Rogers that most people do not. My friend has an aunt who was one of Mr. Rogers Neighbor. (oh and there a reason he always wearing those long sleave shirts)
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I'm sorry to see him go, but at least he's not in pain anymore. I've probably seen every episode of that show :) Good times... good times.
:D
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Sorry to see him go.. but I'm sick of that damn song. He was on the air for how many years??? And they never once changed the opening theme song..
Matt

Post by Matt »

harra wrote:My parents were very strict in what we could watch unsupervised. So up until 8th or 9th grade I was pretty much restricted to PBS and Nickelodeon and we didn't get cable until probably 7th grade. So I pretty much grew up with those childrens programs. That is also what got me to be a big fan of home improvement shows. My dad used to laugh because when I was still in my single digits I was hooked on This Old House
I, just like you, grew up with PBS. Actually, we didn't even get cable until a couple months ago when we found out our cable internet is cheaper with TV than without...but thats only basic TV...so my brothers don't get to watch Nick. But, (to bet back on topic), it is sad to hear he is gone. He played such an important role in my growing-up years...
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:Sorry to see him go.. but I'm sick of that damn song. He was on the air for how many years??? And they never once changed the opening theme song..
Well it was his song :) He was the writer/director etc.
:D