How do I send people different buddy icons?

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

ImmortalDragonII

How do I send people different buddy icons?

Post by ImmortalDragonII »

Is there a way to choose the icon you send to a group or person?
"Wasn't the world safer when the president was getting laid?"
-Whoopi Goldberg
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Nope. Maybe a program could be made to do this but then it would have to be it's own client I assume.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

the problem is, that the buddy icons are used in the same manner as the info...... the icon is uploaded to the AIM server, then its relayed to everyone you chat with from there..... so it would be rather hard to get different icons for differnet people

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
SNiiP3R
Addict
Addict

Post by SNiiP3R »

Actually No , it works a little different. When you select an Icon , your AIM Client changes the *ICON Flag*, and when you send an IM to someone it sends that *Flag* along with it. When the other side receives your IM , their Client checks for 2 different Flags ( No ICON , Update ICON ) Now , when they send a reply to you their Client sends a small string that tells your Client to send an Icon next time. So now when you reply , your AIM Client adds your buddy Icon to the end of your IM Packet.

So basically what their Client does is, when it receives the IM with "attached icon" it splits the IM packet and saves the buddy icon.

Edited:

No you cant send people different b.icons. Unless you make an AIM bot that will attach the buddy icons to the end of each IM. No other way
Last edited by SNiiP3R on Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

We can all tell that plasma hasn't had the opportunity to write an AIM client. (At least not an Oscar client)
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

lol..... no, of course i havent for the oscar..... some things scare me :wink:

lol

but yeah.... now that i read that, it would explain a few key things i never really knew..... like why the icon shows up after two IM's

but while we're on the topic.... why is it in AIM 5.1, that the icon shows up in a new persons IM BEFORE i initiate a convo with them? its the weirdest thing.......

IE: i click a link on a webpage that says 'IM ME' and it pops up a new IM window to sum1.... then a couple seconds later i see theyre icon show up in the window. ........ Ive never talked to this person before, so yeah.....

jus a lil confused on a few things...... i aint quite got oscar figured out insode and out yet 8)

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
SNiiP3R
Addict
Addict

Post by SNiiP3R »

Tell you the truth , I have no idea how AIM 5X works. I dont use & probably never will :P

But Im sure it works almost the same. ( it requests 8) ) maybe when you connect to aim or when you press their name in the list. :roll:
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I love that it updates so fast however it does it. I assume it requests it when you open the window.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

i dont think that flag thing worx. whenever i im sum1 i never imed b4 and they never imed me (i got their sn from 1 of those trackers in ppls profiles) and i attempt to im them, i get their buddy icon. the current one, even if ive never talked 2 them b4 and they never talked 2 me. this happened many times.
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

yeahh plasma when u make a client for oscar i wanna here bout it b/c your other programs ive used kick ass n well im asuming this one prolly will too
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"