AIM E-mail with Yahoo POP Fowarding.

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

rexfarms
Addict
Addict

AIM E-mail with Yahoo POP Fowarding.

Post by rexfarms »

Since with Yahoo you have to pay for the pop fowarding info, does anybody know how I can make AIM alert me when I get new e-mails? :?:
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Goto the AIM preferences, click the MAIL option on the left side.
Click the button 'Add Mailbox'.

Set it to a Pop3 address (i assume yahoo uses pop3.).
If you have AOL, and you use AIM, it will automatically tell you if you got new mail.
rexfarms
Addict
Addict

Post by rexfarms »

Yahoo wont give you the address unless you pay for it. I want to get around this.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Yahoo does not allow for pop3 access (as she stated). You there for can not check it.

HOWEVER there is a program on sf.net (forget the name) that lets you check your yahoo mail through outlook. So there may be a backdoor you can use to check it with AIM too, or maybe someone could make small app that does it however YM does it (but then you could just run YM so...).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
rexfarms
Addict
Addict

Post by rexfarms »

I dont want to have YIM open, I rather just keep AIM open like normal and have it tell me when I get a new e-mail.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

The way Yahoo Mail is setup, there's no way to be notified of new mail unless you're running Yahoo Messenger or you pay for the POP access. Mail checking programs and features need the POP access to notify you of new mail.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Matt

Post by Matt »

This website might help... http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296524
Incoming Mail (POP3) Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Account Name/Login Name: Your Yahoo! Mail name (your address without the "@yahoo.com")
E-mail address: Your Yahoo! Mail address (i.e. user@yahoo.com)
Password: Your Yahoo! Mail password
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

That Yahoo information is now unfortunately outdated. Yahoo used to offer free POP access to those who joined the 'Yahoo Delivers' program, which basically meant you could have POP but you got Yahoo sponsored spam with it. They have now ended that program and now offer POP access only to those who pay for it.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Big-O Mark wrote:That Yahoo information is now unfortunately outdated. Yahoo used to offer free POP access to those who joined the 'Yahoo Delivers' program, which basically meant you could have POP but you got Yahoo sponsored spam with it. They have now ended that program and now offer POP access only to those who pay for it.
That information is still correct, but login to the pop and smtp servers will fail if you haven't paid for the service. To the best of my knowledge there isn't a way around this. When Yahoo! disabled pop access I tried to find a way around it, but them I gave up and got a new email address.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

What is so hard about going to http://mail.yahoo.com

If you have the 'Remember Me' feature enabled.. all you gota do is enter your password, (i think..unless my cookies are corrupt), and it signs you in. :wink:
rexfarms
Addict
Addict

Post by rexfarms »

Yes but I would like to be notified when I get an e-mail.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

rexfarms wrote:Yes but I would like to be notified when I get an e-mail.
So have a friend or sibling log in for you and have them tell you whether you have a new mail or not. That may be an old-fashioned notification, but a notification nonetheless.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

There is a way (but I don't think AIM) to be notified when you get new mail. Look at Trillian. It tells you when you get new mail.

If there is someone that knows about the YM protocal then I am sure they could tell you, but I doubt you will find anyone here that knows. You might want to try (I *think* this is the address) www.bigblueplanent.com . I have never been to their forums but they do have forums for each of the major IM programs.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

If you are intrested you may want to look at this link. I belive the program is on Source Forge which means it is open source so you can play around with the code.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Yup...it works. That's really cool!