[FALSE RUMOR] Microsoft Aquires Vivendi Universal

Discuss video games from NES to PS2 to PC to whatever.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

fuuucckkers

[FALSE RUMOR] Microsoft Aquires Vivendi Universal

Post by fuuucckkers »

Vivendi Universal -- owner of Blizzard Entertainment, Sierra Entertainment, Universal Interactive and a few others has been aquired by MS for an undisclosed amount.

That's what my friend told me..even gave me a link to some website.

But then I found on microsoft this..

http://www.gamerfeed.com/index.php?story=1266
Microsoft Issues Statement About Hoax Website

REDMOND, Wash., -- Feb. 3, 2003 -- Microsoft Corp. today said that it did not release a statement or press release about any acquisition of Vivendi Universal. Any purported press release or news story appearing on a Web site is a hoax. As is consistent with our corporate policy, Microsoft does not comment on rumors or speculation about rumored acquisitions or negotiations.

As always, once something becomes rumor.. it always happens. Just like when Microsoft bought Rare Ltd. First it was rumor...then became truth.

I swear.. if Sierra and Blizzard fall to the likes of M$.. I will be pissed. (But of course they dont have a choice, because Vivendi owns then...and I hear their up for sale). :sad:
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Wait...so Blizzard is not owned by that ass?

YAY!!! :cheesy:
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

An updated and better news article concerning Vivendi and Microsoft...and the future of Sierra, and Blizzard..along with other companies owned by Vivendi.
Vivendi Universal is holding talks with Microsoft about the sale of parts of its video game business, people close to the negotiations said yesterday. Microsoft is exploring the purchase of Vivendi's best game-making studios, these people said, though they added that the discussions could still stall or collapse.
The chief executive of Vivendi Universal, Jean-René Fourtou, has been considering several options for the company's video game business, which makes popular titles like Diablo II and games based on the "Lord of the Rings" books. Among the options are a public stock offering and a partial or complete sale.

Microsoft has made no secret of its desire to bolster its portfolio of video games to help increase sales of its Xbox console, which have been disappointing. Producing more games for the Xbox is one way to increase sales, and Microsoft has acquired several small software developers, including 49 percent of Rare, a British company that had made games like Donkey Kong Country exclusively for Nintendo. . . .

"Microsoft doesn't want to leave the development of video games for the Xbox in someone else's hands," said Jeff Van Rhee, director for enterprise software research at Investec, an investment bank. "Buying Vivendi lets Microsoft control its own destiny."

Vivendi also remains in touch with Electronic Arts, another game maker, and the Sony Corporation about the division.

Andrea Sarasian, a spokeswoman for Vivendi's game business, declined to comment on any negotiations. Marianne Allison Ward, a Microsoft spokeswoman, also declined to comment.

By selling its game business, Vivendi could raise as much as $1.5 billion, allowing it to continue reducing its debt. Net debt fell to 13.9 billion euros at the end of 2002, from 22.4 billion euros six months earlier, but it is expected to rise now that Vivendi has agreed to spend 4 billion euros to gain control of Cegetel, a French phone company.

Moreover, a sale of the game business would not be subject to any of the restrictions that would govern the sale of other entertainment divisions, namely the Universal studios, theme parks and cable assets.

Deliberations over the future of the game division come as Vivendi considers options for its American entertainment businesses, including spinning them off, selling the businesses outright or divesting itself of certain divisions piecemeal. A decision on the game division would probably be made independently of the other entertainment businesses, a person close to Vivendi said.