Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

War could replace 'March Madness'

Post by Big-O Mark »

War could replace 'March Madness'

Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Reuters

NEW YORK -- Television network CBS said on Tuesday the U.S. college basketball championship tournament could find itself in unfamiliar territory alongside reruns of "Star Trek" and "The Cosby Show" in the event of war with Iraq -- or even on rival network ESPN.

If CBS, owned by Viacom Inc. , were forced to run wall-to-wall news coverage of the war, the network might have to move some or all of the 63 "March Madness" NCAA tournament games to sister Viacom cable channels like TNN and TV Land.

The company has also talked about shifting games to Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN network, an ESPN spokesman said on Tuesday.

"We have had talks. Our reason was to potentially serve basketball fans and the NCAA [National Collegiate Athletic Association] in what are obviously difficult circumstances," said ESPN's Josh Krulewitz. He would not give details of the talks, such as how many tournament games were under discussion.

Viacom said it would not run games on music-oriented cable networks MTV or VH1, which it also owns, because of concerns about airing beer ads and other adult-focused commercials in front of the younger audiences at those networks.

The NCAA men's basketball tournament is one of the most popular U.S. sporting events, known for upsets and nail-biting finishes. The tourney is scheduled to begin on March 14 and continue through the end of the month.

Shifting games from network television to niche cable channels would be a complicated undertaking. CBS has already sold 95 percent of its commercial time for the tournament, and would likely have to compensate advertisers if the games were moved to cable, where ratings would likely be lower.

In addition, ESPN has already committed to televising the increasingly popular -- though lower rated -- women's college basketball tournament, which runs concurrently with the men's tournament.

CBS would likely give advertisers "make-goods," or future commercial time, if ratings took a hit, a spokeswoman said.

A cable-only tournament would also be a blow to soft drink company Coca-Cola Co. , which signed a $500 million, 11-year endorsement contract with CBS and the NCAA last week. CBS is in the first year of an 11-year, $6 billion deal with the NCAA.
-Mark
Big-O Software
ImmortalDragonII

Post by ImmortalDragonII »

I'd like to see it run on ESPN
"Wasn't the world safer when the president was getting laid?"
-Whoopi Goldberg
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

lol...that is awesome!! No March Madness... :twisted:
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I for one would much rather see March Maddness then have to see war coverage. I think that 9/11 and the bombing in OK was way over broadcast (granted there is some stuff you need to report, but not the same 30 mins of info for 10 hours). I could not imagine how bad coverage of a war would be.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Well I don't like basketball--that's they only reason why I say that.