Windows AIM vs. Mac AIM

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Banderon wrote:Argh!! Why can't AOL just implement these things into the next version of AIM? *sigh*
See, this is one thing I really don't get--because logging is actually a part of the Mac version of AIM, and the Mac version is only 4.8 and doesn't have all the new features of AIM 5.x. I still don't get why AOL put a logging feature in the Mac version but hasn't yet put it in the Windows version.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Michael wrote:
Banderon wrote:Argh!! Why can't AOL just implement these things into the next version of AIM? *sigh*
See, this is one thing I really don't get--because logging is actually a part of the Mac version of AIM, and the Mac version is only 4.8 and doesn't have all the new features of AIM 5.x. I still don't get why AOL put a logging feature in the Mac version but hasn't yet put it in the Windows version.
Because they're stupid? Either that or it's somehow advantageous for them not to. I can't see how it would be though.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I think companies develope program diffrent sometimes for diffrent OSs (not that it makes any sence to mix and match features). Maybe more people asked for logging that are on the Mac OS then people on the Microsoft OSs.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Matt

Post by Matt »

OR...to show favorability (sp)...think of this...if AOL has all Macs at their company...don't you think they would have a better version of AIM for the Mac? (I don't know if thats the case...but I bet it is). Also, Macs are more expensive (generally)...so maybe they are giving the people who have the money to buy a Mac the extra features...
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

I'll bet it's because the people in charge at AOL don't like Micro$oft.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Here is my guess as to why AIM 4.8 in Windows doesn't have logging features, but AIM 4.8 for the Mac does.

If you've been following the tech trades, you'll have read that AOL is releasing a corporate version of AIM that will provide the security features they want. One of the features that will be present is CHAT LOGGING. This is for those companies such as those who deal with financials that are required by law to record all correspondences with clients. They aren't going to give us a free feature of logging if it's one of the selling features for the pay version
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Yes, but those companies could just as easily install a free add-on with AIM rather than paying for a corporate version.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Master Jedi wrote:Yes, but those companies could just as easily install a free add-on with AIM rather than paying for a corporate version.
Yeah..tell them that. :roll:

I think the companies would rather spend the money instead of using a free add-on because if something goes wrong..they have the support of AOL to help them.. instead of for instance us, trying to help them. :)

Also... if the corporate version will have it.. and yet we don't .. and the Mac version already does.. then why is implenmented into AIM, but not available as a feature itself. I remember using ResHack and the Logging feature is there.. just not able to use.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

The forms are there, but I don't think all the code is.
Chinchilla!
Addict
Addict

Post by Chinchilla! »

The Mac version of AOL IM has had logging for the longest time. At least 4 years. It also allows for the text to be spoken via the built in mac speech synthesizer thing. Thirdly, back in the day (and probably now, someone verify this), they would have what type of internet your buddy is using, if it was internet, then they would have a globe next to their name, or if it was AOL it would have the AOL symbol next to their name.

I really enjoyed using AOL IM for the mac. But AOL IM 4.8 and AIM+ is the best PC alternative out there.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

The connection type is in the PC version too. Windows has built-in text-to-speech, but not very easy to work with.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Chinchilla! wrote:Thirdly, back in the day (and probably now, someone verify this), they would have what type of internet your buddy is using, if it was internet, then they would have a globe next to their name, or if it was AOL it would have the AOL symbol next to their name.
Still present, yes.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Master Jedi wrote:The connection type is in the PC version too. Windows has built-in text-to-speech, but not very easy to work with.
Yes, but the Windows version doesn't show a different icon.

And I've never seen a text-to-speech function built into AIM for Windows.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Michael wrote:
Master Jedi wrote:The connection type is in the PC version too. Windows has built-in text-to-speech, but not very easy to work with.
Yes, but the Windows version doesn't show a different icon.

And I've never seen a text-to-speech function built into AIM for Windows.
Windows the operating system, not the version of AIM. Sorry for being unclear. There are add-ons that do it though.
Walker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Walker »

If AOL was logical then all of the old Mac Features would be put into the Windows version, but guess what! AOL isn't logical!