Talk of the "Competition"

Website stuff

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

fuuucckkers

Talk of the "Competition"

Post by fuuucckkers »

Reading the FAQs on the PHPNuke website...I came across this.
What do you all think of this statement ??
Why don't you allow competing products discussion/support from a Community site?

Ethics. Just plain simple.

Think about it for a while. If we talk good about competing products, we are pissing ourselves, if we talk bad we'll fall under people's flames and we'll not be fair with anyone.

You'll never see a decent and respectable company giving support and/or originating discussion around a competing product. So... this the reason to not allow under any circumstance, talk/support for competing and/or similar products.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

That's a load of crap. Sure, you may never hear about HP talking about Lexmark or Epson printers, but if you hear feedback about other products, you can better your own.

Having a closed mind in the Internet business is an automatic death sentence if you ask me.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

I agree. It's always good to know what the competition is up to and what their user-base feels about their product compared to yours.
Matt

Post by Matt »

It depends on the atmosphere. That statement is somewhat true...you shouldn't devote a whole forum to another product...but in turn, you should at least be able to talk about other products...to get user opinions...and different ideas.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

If all the people you compeat against follow the same "rules" you are just leaving your self open for failure I believe.

(Only a example)

If phpBB allows discussion about IBF and says good things about them some people will go to IBF, but if IBF does not do this phpBB in turn losses traffic.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Personly I compaining is shooting it self in the foot if it does not allow talk about there compation. It makes them look like they think the are better than everone else and personaly that means they are stuck up and scared that other products are better than there. If you product can not stand up to being talk about then it not a good product
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

A good example of this is Forum software. None of the companies that I know of (other then maybe PHP-Nuke, and only the forum part), talk about other Forum software. Do you think that PHP-Nuke, phpBB, or IBF suffers from this? I don't think so.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I have yet to see a company's website devote any time discussing the competitors except to maybe "slam" them. To use D4D1NK's example. The only time you'd probably see a competative product mentioned on HP's site is if they are talking about how their product is better.

I think what phpNuke is talking about is that in the "community" environment there is no way to carry on an intelligent and mature discussion about competative products and therefore, in their opinion, it should be avoided all together. Just look at the disucssions that have gone on here. There has been some intelligent discussions but their merit is dilluted by the many flames and posts riddled with profanity. Those kinds of posts detract from the professionalism of a forum. Granted moderators can remove the posts, but what harm has already been done by the untold numbers of people who have already read the post