BitTorrent

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

sweeney
Addict
Addict

BitTorrent

Post by sweeney »

I downloaded the program BitTorrent, which allows you to download files from other people. Its like a Napster, Kazaa, or Morpheus, minus the server you log into. You'd download it right off of someone who is hosting the file you want. If anyone has heard of this program, do you know any good downloading sites? And for those who haven't, you can find all about it and download it here: http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Ok.. I just downloaded the Windows version, and I tried to install it, and it told me it installed itself immediately after I double clicked the .exe.

First off, NO application should 'Auto-install'. That had me worried for a minute..and now I had to go searching my harddrive because I didnt tell it where to install. And it didnt creat a Start Menu folder.

I haven't even used this program yet, and I already don't like it.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I just tried to run the program.. it did some sort of install at runtime.. and then said FAILED! Missing file, or something.. blabla.

I immediately uninstalled. This program is crap. 2 Thumbs down! :-?
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:2 Thumbs down!
And probably more, if you had more than two thumbs.

Here Wasted, I'll loan you my two thumbs so you can give it four thumbs down!
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Now we have 6 thumbs facing downward.
Matt

Post by Matt »

wanna add mine?
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

and mine
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

You people don't understand the program. It automatically installs, you dont use the program itself. You search a website hosting downloads such as http://www.donkax.com/bittorrent/. You click one of the links, and that triggers the program to run. It then downloads from the peers holding it up for download and you get it on your computer. This program is good for dial-up users because if you save the .torrent file off the website, you can turn the download on and off. If you still don't like this program, thats your problem, its great.
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Now that I understand the program, I think I like it even less... :-?
JAG
Just Registered
Just Registered

BitTorrent - Alternative clients

Post by JAG »

You can download torrent files from:
HTTP://WWW.SUPRNOVA.ORG/
Also I found another client for torrent files by searching Google for Torrent Search. It works similar to Kazaa in that it will search for torrent files for you. You can right click your search result and select download. It might be an alternative for those who do not like the way the original BitTorren client installs..
For those developers out there, the source code for the original BitTorrent client is available too.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I used to hate this program, but once you know how to use it, and know where to get torrents you simply can't go wrong... The ETA has always been right (or better) for me so I know exactly when I'm going to get something, and if it's going to be too long I just wont download it...

I rely on it to get my OC ESPs... I don't use it for music at all however... Much easier to download many at a time through Kazaa...

And if you like any of the "current hits" on TV this may help you guys...
http://torrents.co.uk/index.php
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
dataiscorrupt

umm no

Post by dataiscorrupt »

I'm gonna go with Ebert up there and say that I wouldn't use it. It really seems to be a big place to pick up some spyware etc. Most of those auto install things are, that way you cant see all the junk it puts on your computer, but I guess its hard to find a place that doens't put junk on your computer. Whatever works for you I guess, but I would agree with the bad reviews.
geek (gek), n. Slang. 1. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken. 2. person; fellow. [prob. var. of Scot geck fool]
www.eleventhwhisper.com
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

If you are getting the spyware then I would suggest you get some decent software on your computer to block popups... Or god forbid not click the ads...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
dataiscorrupt

yes, well

Post by dataiscorrupt »

I was just speaking truthfully about many of those types of programs, I don't have those problems, it was just a warning for those that do, but if you wanna use it...whatever flips your switch, but I wouldn't.
geek (gek), n. Slang. 1. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken. 2. person; fellow. [prob. var. of Scot geck fool]
www.eleventhwhisper.com
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

I've had it for a while and haven't had any problems with it. I haven't downloaded stuff in a long time though, since I'm never home, well at the apartment, anymore.

I usually use supernova.org though when I wanted to dl something.
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182