i made an offline messaging bot - NoteServer

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Matt

Post by Matt »

I am liking the features of this bot more and more. It would be AWESOME if it were web-based. I know that all my friends would definately use it. If you haven't considered it, I strongly suggest you do as that would be an awesome addition to the AIM world.

Also, what is the major purpose of the dictionary? I turned it on, misspelled a word, and got a ton of definations.

Keep up the good work,
Matt
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
b414213562

re: functionality

Post by b414213562 »

KooLTaB101 wrote:What is the major purpose of the dictionary? I turned it on, misspelled a word, and got a ton of definations.
Actually, there's a feature where you type "dict <word>" and it looks up the definition for you. This was really useful for waffle because he was on dialup, and m-w.com and dictionary.com are always too slow.

However, a few of us were thinking that to make it faster, there could be a setting that eliminates the need for typing "dict", by interpreting anything that isn't a command as a request for the dict command. So, with that on, if I send NoteServer "plebian", instead of telling me "Unknown command", it sends back "No definitions found for "plebian", perhaps you mean: web1913: Plebeian".

Unfortunately, the expansion of capability far exceeds documentation, but after finals are over that will change. Dict is one such command. The me alias is another.

Sending notes to myself is one of the most common ways I use NoteServer, but typing my screenname over and over is pretty rediculous. So, to ease this, waffle made "me" always point to the user. "s me reminder: don't explode!" is much better than "s b414213562 reminder: too late! it took to long to type your name!"

Some others (don't remember if these are listed or not, so I'll through them out):
unread: tells noteserver to keep reminding you.
l: short version of list
ll: shows an excerpt of each message
v/verify: tells if a screenname is registered with noteserver
fortune: same as linux command, just for fun
unregister: "Get me the hell out of here"
exit: pretty self evident
hours: shows messages sent by hour (in a cool graph format)
lusers: shows user stats (how many, how many active)
KooLTaB101 wrote:It would be AWESOME if it were web-based. I know that all my friends would definately use it.
Actually, thanks to the posts on this forum suggesting it, we're already planning this.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Between KoolTaB101 and you now telling me all those short commands I might start using it... The "memo" idea is a good one :D .

(I'm glad Casey approves :-p)
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
b414213562

Post by b414213562 »

PhaseDMA wrote:Between KoolTaB101 and you now telling me all those short commands I might start using it... The "memo" idea is a good one :D .
This isn't well documented yet, but be sure to do the command: "help abbrev":

del...........d, rm
feedback......f
help..........h
list..........l, ls
liste.........lse, ll (list with excerpts)
read..........r
reply.........rp
replyd........rpd (reply, delete the message replying to)
send..........s
verify........v (verify screenname is user of NoteServer)

and some dealing with multiple screennames.
PhaseDMA wrote:ie to make it more simple to remeber the command minus all but the first letter, except if it is a letter that is the first letter in more then one command.
Beautifully put. It's helpful to give a list like that for people who don't know all the commands, but that's the general rule. We like simple.
Last edited by b414213562 on Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

ie to make it more simple to remeber the command minus all but the first letter, except if it is a letter that is the first letter in more then one command.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
waffle
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by waffle »

Thanks for the feedback guys, you've given us some good ideas. Anyway, I think it's time we stop arguing. I'm going to party hard.

Yeah, a CGI/HTML interface is a good idea. I've been doing a bunch of Perl/CGI/HTML stuff recently so it shouldn't be that hard to do. Once I'm done with my school projects for the semester I'll add it on
Last edited by waffle on Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

haldol wrote:Man, I've never seen someone get so ragged for having a thorough program.
ive gotten my share.....

i found out that on slashbomb sum1 made a post about AMM (i dont know the person that posted about it)

i found it by the referrer list i keep..,.. and i chimed in, since i really didnt like how my intelligence was being insulted for no real reason...
SoFrshSoC1ean24 wrote: for the person who made that program is a COMPLETE MORON
:-?
the thread: http://www.slashbomb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=270

that thread seemed like the people talking about it didnt even know what it does and made it seem like a crappy prog to anybody else just hearing about it from that thread.

ive gotten at least one other similar post about AMM on another board... but for the most part, people seem to either like AMM or think nuetrally about it.... i dont see how its really a 'bad' program :-?

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

i do like noteserv1 it has more functions then the messageserver. i also like the fact that it has more then one bot so more then 4000 people can see it online at a time. i really like the dict command b/c i really suck at spelling.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Jon8RFC
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Jon8RFC »

well i read the first 1.5 pages of this thread this morning and im back to put my opinion down on the table...im used to a little customization of programs and sometimes would like a helping hand along the way for things im not used to...im not sure if i ignored it or not, dont wanna look through logs, but...i registered, which i didnt mind too much, then sent a test message to myself and after i checked what it was, i received i think 3 IMs when i would come back from away later on and i am definitely NOT down with that...i dont need an explanation, should be self explanatory if there is something like that and it isnt so im not requesting a reply or explanation because i dont care cause im done with using noteserv:)...ill stick to the smooth, simple, non-annoying, all-user-accessible, fantastic MessageServer :)

MessageServer>*
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

You have to delete your messeges after you read them silly.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
b414213562

Post by b414213562 »

Jon8RFC wrote:I dont care cause im done with using noteserv:)...ill stick to the smooth, simple, non-annoying, all-user-accessible, fantastic MessageServer :)
I wish you well, but it looks like messageServer pissed someone off recently, 'cause I see it as being warned to 100%. That's the hardest thing to deal with when you're developing bots: jerks who'll warn anonymously, so the bot can't block them.

And about NoteServer: you receive annoucements on unread messages until you use the "read" or "r" command on it. (The ll or liste command does not count them as read.) Then it never tells you about it again, unless you ask it to. It does save them, so you'll want to 'delete' or 'd' them.

There are some shortcuts, that make life easier: read all, read new, read 1-5, and read 3- all work wonders. (Unbounded ranges are wonderful. That last one reads notes 3 and above.) You can use ranges on just about every command including delete.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

MessageServer always has a warning level. Expect that with your bot as well once it draws enough traffic.

Message server has talked to 12,915 unique screen names (as of right now.. that number will go up any minute I'm sure) so it's not surprising that it has a warning level as it does.
:D
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

A few weeks later ...

I'm curious, have a lot of people switched over to NoteServer?
-Mark
Big-O Software
Matt

Post by Matt »

I am registered and have a link in my profile. Its a good service...but I've used MessageServer more and ppl know what that is...

If there was web-based integration, that would be a awesome reason to use it. It would be like AIM without the client...
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
b414213562

web based interface

Post by b414213562 »

KooLTaB101 wrote:If there was web-based integration, that would be a awesome reason to use it. It would be like AIM without the client...
It's actually under development. I've seen a preview that lets you read your messages, but no reply, delete or send functionality yet. It's going to be awesome in a week or two.

I'll ask around and see if they mind me posting the URL here.