i made an offline messaging bot - NoteServer

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

b414213562

Post by b414213562 »

Big-O Mark wrote: The most powerful feature of bots like NoteServer is the offline messaging capability. By adding idle and away to this without an option to disable it makes NoteServer a little less useful.
I'm confused, if you're away what would be the point of it delivering the message? NoteServer messages you as soon as you're not idle/away/offline. That is, as soon as you'd be capable of reading the notes, it tells you about them... I see that as an advantage, not a limitation.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

b414213562 wrote:I'm confused, if you're away what would be the point of it delivering the message? NoteServer messages you as soon as you're not idle/away/offline. That is, as soon as you'd be capable of reading the notes, it tells you about them... I see that as an advantage, not a limitation.
I'm saying two things. First, why bother? AIM already let's you get messages if you're away or idle, so it's in a sense a redundant feature. Second, what if you have an away message up because you're busy, or you're idle but sitting next to your computer? You might like to get your messages. Instead, in these cases, NoteServer would hold the message until you're active. However, if the message were simply sent through AIM, you could be alerted of it right away without having to get up to move your mouse or take down your away message.

That's why holding the message is a distinct disadvantage.
-Mark
Big-O Software
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

well i have looked at the noteserv1 bot a lil more i think i kinda like it... but i still dont like that the other person has to register also. can you make a bot that sends messages to unreg. users?

i like plasma's idea about having the inbox in html. so if the computer did not have AIM (like at school) you could still check your messages or maybe even send messages.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
b414213562

Post by b414213562 »

Big-O Mark wrote: I'm saying two things. First, why bother? AIM already let's you get messages if you're away or idle, so it's in a sense a redundant feature. Second, what if you have an away message up because you're busy, or you're idle but sitting next to your computer? You might like to get your messages. Instead, in these cases, NoteServer would hold the message until you're active. However, if the message were simply sent through AIM, you could be alerted of it right away without having to get up to move your mouse or take down your away message.

That's why holding the message is a distinct disadvantage.
Ah, I see. Well, I guess my only thoughts on that are: if I have an away message up, but am at my computer, I don't want to be messaged. Also, if I'm idle, then my screensaver's probably on, because it's got a shorter timer than idle does. Actually, I think I may have turned idle off completely, at that. But I see what you mean.

However, NoteServer is customizable, and I have no doubt that if someone asked him to do it, waffle would add the ability to set conditions for alerts. There are already several ways to customize NoteServer, most of which deal with the display of the notes. It'd be a simple matter to add the condition to send them even if you're away or idle.

Then, if you're actually at the computer, you'd know about them. However, if you're not at the computer, which is more likely, you can still get at them from anywhere.
haldol
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by haldol »

Ive been using noteserv for a while. It seems pretty cool. I just like to say insomnica, why are u complaining about a few messages to register, i mean, u registered for this forum, and that means you like IMs so sending a couple messages shouldnt be much at all. Noteserver sounds cool with its multi bot thingy. Its like a hip email thing, but for aim. I really like it. I've sent messages to myself on different screen name that was linked with my main screen name so that wehn i got home i would remember to do that. It works great. Way to go waffle.

-haldol
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

but you dont have to sign up for this forums to read them. thats really my only complant now. and what does breakfast food have to do with aim?
b414213562

Post by b414213562 »

insomica wrote:but you dont have to sign up for this forums to read them. thats really my only complant now. and what does breakfast food have to do with aim?
But you do have to sign up to post.

As milligig said above, the breakfast food is one part inside joke, one part algorithm for bot assignment.
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

i was talking about sending messages to people that have not signed up for it... couldnt he find a better algorithm for bot assignment?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Leave him be... He fogot the random command.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
haldol
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by haldol »

Man, I've never seen someone get so ragged for having a thorough program. I mean, like, it sounds like he just wanted it to work well. And he gets so much trash talk for writing this thing for people for free. I'd hate to be somewhere where I got beat up for making sure the product worked well and did what I wanted it to.

.haldol
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Okay calm down.. If you can't take a simple joke I feel sorry for you, and if the creator can't answer simple questions (when he has time), then I feel sorry for him.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Matt

Post by Matt »

The only downside of the service is getting all my friends to register for noteserver and giving them information about it. Is there a simple line of text that you use to Advertise Noteserver...because if so, I'll put it in my profile. Also, besides the website mentioned, are there forums in which we can submit opinions about it?
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
b414213562

Post by b414213562 »

KooLTaB101 wrote:The only downside of the service is getting all my friends to register for noteserver and giving them information about it. Is there a simple line of text that you use to Advertise Noteserver...because if so, I'll put it in my profile. Also, besides the website mentioned, are there forums in which we can submit opinions about it?
Forums would be a good idea. I bet Waffle would set some up after finals are over.

I personally just advertize http://noteserver.mondrary.com in my profile, because it is a decent howto page. I agree telling people to register could take awhile, but once it's done, it's done. You are registered until you tell the service to unregister you.

I've found that the people I actually want to send offline messages to is a small subset of the people I have on my buddylist, also. Just a thought.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

b414213562 wrote:
insomica wrote:but you dont have to sign up for this forums to read them. thats really my only complant now.
But you do have to sign up to post.
What does registering for a forum have to do with registering for a service like NoteServer? This is a poor analogy.

By comparison:

AIM+ = 1,491,283 downloads
hkSFV = 210,097 downloads
Registered Forum Users = 5269 users

That's 323 program downloads for every registered forum user. The users posting here did indeed take the time to register, but obviously not everyone does. Additionally, some people would rather not use a service than register.

Now if registration, as it seems you're trying to say, truly makes NoteServer a better service for all of its users, just come out and say that. Don't use the you signed up here, why not sign up there argument, because it doesn't hold water.

Finally, the developers of NoteServer should take notice of this debate. Obviously some people do not like to register for things. Balance the benefits of user registration with the loss of potential users. If NoteServer is clearly superior to the competition, and that fact is aided by registering users, a lot of people will surely sign up. However, if NoteServer provides very little over the competition, many people will continue to use the bots that do not ask them to register.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

haldol wrote:Man, I've never seen someone get so ragged for having a thorough program. I mean, like, it sounds like he just wanted it to work well. And he gets so much trash talk for writing this thing for people for free.
Nobody is getting 'ragged' here. This is a discussion forum, and people are discussing the program. They are saying what they like, what they don't like, and making suggestions on how they think NoteServer could be better. If anyone were swearing or getting out of hand, their posts would be deleted. So far I have only had to remove one post from this thread for being out of line, and it was not made by someone 'ragging' on NoteServer.

Also, the creator of NoteServer posted about his service here. If he didn't want people discussing it, he wouldn't have made the post, unless it was just shameless self promoting spam, which I did not think the post was at all.
haldol wrote:I'd hate to be somewhere where I got beat up for making sure the product worked well and did what I wanted it to.
So would I.

No wait, that already happened. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you probably haven't been around the Big-O forums for very long. Read here:

http://discuss.big-o-software.com/viewtopic.php?t=2221
-Mark
Big-O Software