Mario Kart Double Dash Revealed

Discuss video games from NES to PS2 to PC to whatever.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

April 23, 2003

IGN

Nintendo has unleashed the first pics and details on the long-awaited Mario Kart Double Dash. That's right, the first GameCube entry in the Mario Kart series finally has a name.

The biggest change from previous entries, aside from the improved graphics shown in the screenshots, would have to be the ability for two characters to ride a cart together. The character in the rear is responsible for using items while the mascot in front drives. Screenshots seem to hint that those using the items have added control over where they shoot the items, although this hasn't been confirmed yet. You can switch off between the driving and item roles at will in a race.

Switching off will probably be essential to the game, as characters will each have their own set of specific items that other characters cannot use. Characters can make use of 6 general items along with eight player specific items.

In all, there are sixteen characters confirmed for the game. Here's the list of characters that we know of so far:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Koopa
Koopa Jr.
Koopa Troopa
Paratroopa
Daisy
Birdo
Walugi
Wario

We see lots of names missing from that list that will probably make it in as secret characters. Characters can be paired up however you see fit.

Multiplayer play will, of course, feature heavily in the game. A four player split screen will be on offer, but Nintendo will also be including LAN play for up to 8 players. Further details on this latter mode will be unveiled at this May's E3 show.

Check out the first shots of the game in the media section.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/394/394681p1.html
-Mark
Big-O Software
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

YAY!!!

Two game annoucements today, And good games may I add!! :cheesy:
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

YES! I was so addicted to Super MarioKart when I was in third grade. :D My brother and I used to play battle mode until all hours of the night.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Have you seen the screenshots?! The game looks Amazing!! :cheesy:

And they added a new feature where you can piggy back another character.. to throw the turtle shells.. and whatnot.

The shot I saw was princess on the back, and Mario driving.. Princess was throwing a green turtle.. :)
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Gee....I wonder why they didn't show Mario riding behind Peach.. :twisted: