Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Chewbacca to Appear in Episode III

Post by Big-O Mark »

Chewbacca to Appear in Episode III

April 24, 2003

IGN

The wookiee is yet another original-trilogy character to join the prequels.

Speculation about Chewbacca, Boba Fett, and other characters from the original Star Wars trilogy appearing in the prequels was rampant even before Episode I went into production. Fans were gratified to see R2-D2 and C-3PO in The Phantom Menace, and excitement reigned with the addition of Boba Fett to Attack of the Clones.

What's sure to please fans just as much is the announcement at Starwars.com that Chewbacca will be a character in the upcoming third and final chapter of the Star Wars prequels.

Those who have read their share of Star Wars books and comics or perused the multitude of encyclopedic fansites online may recall that at the time of A New Hope, Chewie was already 200 years old. Wookiees live much longer than humans, making Chewie's appearance in Episode III plausible, if not incredibly coincidental.

Also good news is the fact that Peter Mayhew will be playing the 7-foot-tall alien. Mayhew wore the wookiee costume for all three original Star Wars films, plus the Holiday Special and the Star Wars episode of The Muppet Show. Mayhew has not acted since Return of the Jedi, but he can still do the wookiee howl.

The official site's announcement did not say whether Mayhew's role would be significant or merely a cameo appearance. Chewbacca shows no sign of recognizing the two droids in A New Hope, and one hopes that Lucas won't mess up continuity for the sake of pleasing a few fans.
-Mark
Big-O Software
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Alright :cheesy: I'm glad to hear this.
:D
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

and one hopes that Lucas won't mess up continuity for the sake of pleasing a few fans.
Lucas better not screw it up... or I'll be fairly pissed off.
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

yeahh he better not i wasnt really into the first 2 new ones this one better fit and be perfect haha
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

The only real way I can see them screwing up Chewbacca is to subtitle what he says.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

PaT MaNN 03 wrote:yeahh he better not i wasnt really into the first 2 new ones this one better fit and be perfect haha
Obviously your not a Die Hard Star Wars fan then! :x
If you didn't like Episode II ..there's something wrong with you!
Go watch some MTV or something...
Last edited by fuuucckkers on Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:Go watch some MTV or something...
lol....lets not bash the "hippest and most non-censored" channel on cable television now. :wink:
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:If you didn't like Episode II ..there's something wrong with you!
But you have to admit, Episodes I and II are junk compared to Episodes IV, V, and VI. Lucas just can't repeat the magic of the original trilogy.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Michael wrote: But you have to admit, Episodes I and II are junk compared to Episodes IV, V, and VI. Lucas just can't repeat the magic of the original trilogy.

I completely agree. The first three (last three) are somewhat corny... because they are old and that's expected from a scifi/fantasy movie from that era.

The last two (first two) are somewhat corny... and there is no excuse for that. Natalie Portman may be freaking hot... but she can't jump out of a flying hovercraft that's going 200mph .. roll over on the ground and then pop back up and kill 100 more bad guys.. :roll:
:D
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

I'll agree too. But here's what I see as well:

They fill in the parts of the Star Wars saga that we've been wondering for years--how it all began. Isn't that all that matters? Little by little (more noticeable in Ep.2) we are seeing the fall of the Republic and the rise of Palpatine and the Empire. Hell, look at the last scene in Ep.2 with all the Clone Troopers (which highly resemble Storm Troopers if you ask me), and all the ships which look an awful lot like Star Destroyers. Also, the Death Star plans, and Dooku giving the blueprints to Lord Sidious (aka Chancellor Palpatine). We found out how Anakin got the robotic right arm, and saw his point of no-return when his mother died in his arms, and killed all the Tusken Raiders. You had Palpatine edging him on saying he's better than what the Jedi Council says he is, and you can see the conflict with Anakin and Obi-Wan, which is eventually setlled in Ep.4 when Akakin (then Vader) kills him in the duel.

Lots of forshadowing of future events--and that's where the prequels shine if you ask me.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

DADINK13 wrote:Hell, look at the last scene in Ep.2 with all the Clone Troopers (which highly resemble Storm Troopers if you ask me), and all the ships which look an awful lot like Star Destroyers.
Yeah, stormtroopers are all clones, according to one of the books (one of the recent ones, I think, but I forget which).