Change buddy nickname display

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Lorcani
Just Registered
Just Registered

just a thought

Post by Lorcani »

doesnt aim already have a feature like that called the comment box... thats what i use.
GigaRoc
Addict
Addict

Post by GigaRoc »

cool
SAVE ME GOD - disturbed
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

GigaRoc: this came up in another thread, but try right-clicking a buddy's name and choosing 'Store/Edit Buddy Comment' - the comment will show up in the big yellow tooltip info-box when you hover on their name. (it was news to me, and it's very handy :) )
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Godmstr

Post by Godmstr »

Here is what i do.. On the newer versions of AIM they have a buddy comment area where u can write anything you want, you can write the persons real name in there and anything else u want and it shows up in the tool tip i think there is a max charicters of like 80 i counted i might be wrong and u can just put in whatever you want to
-------------------------------------------------------
Dont even ask you know your wrong...
rew
Just Registered
Just Registered

class

Post by rew »

i dont havent really had a need to try and re-hack AIM+ so i dont know how it works. but when thumbing through Spy++ i see that one of the child classes of _Oscar_TabGroup is called _Oscar_Tree. if that is the list class at its lowest level (and it looks to be) then in theory you should be able to piggy back the aliases on there. - sorry if that doesnt make any sence, im working on about 6 hours of sleep over three days
SlvrChaos

hmm.. what about this?

Post by SlvrChaos »

some of you guys dont seem to know what you are asking for.. This may be over simplifying, but why not have your buddy list, and an alias list... one list that has your REAL names.. and the second.. which is displayed.. defaults to the real names.. or you can display a different name.. you are actually talking to the buddy "asdf123" but on your alias list would be "Chuck".. this could get confusing when someone asks for chuck's screen name, and you see "chuck" and his screen name is "asdf123" but that’s where the mouse over comes in.. it would show "asdf123" along with the other details such as service, warnings, online time, and such... not to mention you still have your original buddy list... and the alias would just be something you right click on the name and change... kinda like adding a buddy comment... I don’t know, maybe this is just TOO MUCH WORK.. but hey, I gave it my best shot...
theadvocatesb
Just Registered
Just Registered

F2

Post by theadvocatesb »

We all know about pushing F2 to show and hide the Times we talk to people, why not implement such a thing with the names. Bind the name to the ID, then have it as a comment that can be shown and/or hid.
Conformity, the newest form of non-conformity
askthefool
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by askthefool »

I think it would be best doing it the way Trillian allows you to do it. Trillian allows for duplicate names. The name data can be stored locally on a persons computer and when they start chatting with the person it can be displayed in the chat window with the screename instead of their actual name but the imporant thing is having the buddy list show the alias id or the real name, whatever you wnat to call it.

This would add a lot to AIM+. It becomes hard to remember 200 unique screename and who is who escecially when people have screename that have nothing to do with their name and when people start making new screenames every couple weeks.
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

Ya I think that would help a lot w/ remembering who ppl are. I think this should really be considered!
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
CSharp510

Post by CSharp510 »

Ok, this really isn't that hard of a coding problem... Just give everyone on your buddy list their own comment. And then in the buddy list it would be a simple if statement (not sure what language is used to code it) but it would consist of

if (comment_exists == true) then display comment
else display name

basically just change the coding of the buddy list. That way you don't have to rename everybody on the list, but you can. Buy maybe this is something AOL should look into.

It sounds simple enough to me, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to change.

Cody
chippi
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by chippi »

I totally agree w/ Csharp510. the code doesn't seem that difficult(we all know how everything seems simple til we try it). One thing about the previous idea is that if the comment section replaces the user name then the user name should be stored in the comment section.

It may be simplier to restrict the comment section to fewer characters and have it displayed directly after the screen name, which is what i would like to see.

Regardless of what is done. I agree that it would be a big + to have the real names of the people you are talking to displayed in the list.
TchCzarina
Just Registered
Just Registered

Buddy List Nicknames

Post by TchCzarina »

Having nicknames come up instead of screen names (For example, Kimberly: instead of TchCzarina: for myself) in chats is possible in a Mac version of AIM and in the Linux version of GAIM, a free AIM client that comes with the operating system. So this doesn't seem like it ought to pose the difficulty you speak of. Having this feature would be a big plus.
darkprince

Post by darkprince »

iChat for the mac has this renaming capability as my friend likes to brag to me...
obviously its doable...i would like to see it...but honestly, i dont think its that big a deal.
-DarkPrince
In the minds of his friends and foes alike, he was an incredible person whose mere presence could be overpowering. He was a master at playing the press; he also perfected the art of playing on people's fears.
-DarkPrince