password protection for history

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

ok, now honestly, for the average user.... that just sounds like paranoia :wink:

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

You know for the semi computer literate people..you could just change your Folder Options to hide all 'hidden files and folers'. Right click the History Folder..click the checkmark to make it hidden. Then turn off the prefs in the Folder Options :wink:

Damn why didnt anyone else think of that already :lol:

Or ...
Theres a quick fix you can do to stop the insecurities of computer illerterate people viewing your logs! (i say that because if sombody knows how to look through your hard drive through explorer, then yea.... but you could just alwaays hide the directory where the logs are saved to somewhere where no1 would ever think of looking)
As mentioned in the quote..make the AIM+ History very well hidden within the system folders. Make it a path such as: C:\WINNT\msapps\msinfo or put it with the other AIM folder stuff: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Aim. But for the people that are smart.. make it totally incogneto.. rename the folder so it doesnt say AIM+ History..just change it to some whacked out name.. and dont leave the files HTML..just make the files numbered.. such as "h1" , "h2" without a file extention too. People will think their just SYSTEM files and leave it alone.

If you wanted to go further..you could even make it so those files are only accessible from AIM+. Say for instance, someone chose to open "h1" in lets say IE, it would probably open back up into HTML form, because all you did was changed the name of it, but if you were to lock it out so only the History Viewer can read it.. problem solved! :D
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

<><><><><>NOW A TOTAL FIX!!!<><><><><>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I been workin on this all night!! but i FINALLY got it alll worked out.

I already released the batch file that changes the filename for ya, but now i got an even BETTER idea to help people from reading your logs.

It doesnt include hiding your files at ALL either. Just check out these steps, and i garuntee you wont have any issues with this anymore.....

Step1: Go to your AIM Logs directory in windows explorer
Step2: Press Ctrl-A to highlight all your files
Step3: Press Shift-Del
Step4: Press enter

Congradulations! you just removed all risk of people viewing your log files :wink: :D

yall dont have to thank me for this one tho..... its just sumthin i thought i should let out. I cant help im a genius! :wink:

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
BigBadGangsta
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: password protection for history

Post by BigBadGangsta »

Anonymous wrote:i use AIM+ on my laptop, which i like to let my friends borrow. but i don't want to let them read some of my private IMs. so do you think i'd be possible you to add some kind of optional password protection. which might also include some kind of encryption for the HTML files the IMs are saved in.

thanks,
joseph
Not only would they have to password protect your logs from being viewed on AIM+ they would need to encrypt the log files themselves.