What do you all think?

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

What do you all think?

Post by Axilla »

Since my comments have once again gone unnoticed or without response by the jdennis staff, I am considering creating an AOL account using one of their 1000 hours or 6 months free gimmicks. I will then post a link to download DeadAIM 3.2.1 on webspace given to AOL members, and distribute this link. If Steve or Jim want to dispute their AOL ad-removal software being on AOL's bandwidth, I wish them luck. I am very sorry it has to come to this, but I have already gotten one PM and two AIM messages asking for a link to download DeadAIM, all messages from people who clearly do not have the means or financial resources to purchase DeadAIM again after previously downloading it.

As a note, I am a DeadAIM user, switched over from AIM+ when it died, and will continue to use DeadAIM because I think it is a great program. I really hope the management at jdennis decides to rethink their current strategies, or at least acknowledge me via a PM or response to this post tonight, so that DeadAIM won't suffer the fate of the Betamax video cassette (a lot of you here are probably too young to know what that is).

Also note, I am not doing this to be an asshole to Jim, Steve, ojmas, or anyone else that works with them. I am doing this because I don't think there is a reason that people should have to pay for what was once allowed to be free. If a new version of DeadAIM had come out concurrent with the new charges, this would not be a problem.
http://www.jdennis.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1866
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
ashtray
Addict
Addict

Post by ashtray »

was the post deleted?
please stop. now.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

it seems that way.. :roll:
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

lol....go for it!

AOL would crush him.. :twisted:

Big evil corporations come in handy sometimes... :)
MikeZed
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MikeZed »

I can help. I got AOL.

Everyone on the Big-O Software board are fucking dumbasses except MikeZed because he actually knows common sense.

Axilla is the gayest person on this board.
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

Yeah, the post was deleted and I was banned from the message board.

Mike, I sent you a PM.

Anyone else who would like to help this cause, send me a PM.

And to think, I was willing to pay $15 for DeadAIM with a registered users private forum. No wonder those damn Brits drive on the wrong side of the road.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Axilla wrote:Yeah, the post was deleted and I was banned from the message board.
....what a loss...more reason to do it.
Axilla wrote:No wonder those damn Brits drive on the wrong side of the road.
You forgot the wrong side of the car as well--although it's technically the right side... :roll:
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

I don't mind not being able to post any more, but I'm kinda pissed that I can no longer look at or reply to PMs. I could have helped a lot of people out.

There is a way to set up an AIM screen name that people can get files from, right? I'm thinking of creating a new screen name and having a directory that anyone can take a file from, and putting you know what file in it. I'm at the library now, 'studying' for my final tomorrow :-/ I think I'll try to set up a screen name with that after my exam.

Anyone wanna start an 'unban Axilla' thread over at jdennis ;-)
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

Hah, I was reading the jdennis forums at the library on a number of different computers, and I think they banned the whole subdomain of the University of Wisconsin -Madison. 40,000 potential DeadAIM subscribers lost. I personally have told about 25 people who live in my dorm about that (I had told them about AIM+ when it was alive) and they each told at least one friend from home. I wonder what jdennis' explanation for their queerness is.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

what do you mean. You can not get to hte site at all?
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

well aparently jdennis blocked a rnage of IP's from Axilla's college.....

like, they blocked 148.32.*.* or whatever the numbers are.....

that would block every person that has the IP of 148.32.0.0 through 148.32.255.255

....... thats, what 65,025 people?

jeez.

lol.. but yeah.... they cant access the site at all if they are banned by the IP

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

Can someone explain how AOL would ban their site or what ever you where talking about. I never use AOL so I don't know how they work.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

insomica wrote:Can someone explain how AOL would ban their site or what ever you where talking about. I never use AOL so I don't know how they work.
Alright, well...

I put the DeadAIM file on my website and gave people links to download it for free.

Steve, an admin of the jdennis boards, sent me an AIM msg and a PM on the forums telling me to take the link down or he would contact my ISP, because having the file for free download would be a violation of some sort.

I posted that it would be funny if I got an AOL account (as in actual AOL, not AIM), and used the webspace that AOL gives its users to host the DeadAIM file.

What would the people at jdennis do then? Contact AOL and say "hey, we have this program called DeadAIM, it takes away ads on AIM that benefit you, and alters your program. We want money for this program, and are making money off of what you created, AIM. One of your users has a link to this program for free, please take it down, for this limits our ability to make money off of your program by taking away your ads."

See, jdennis couldn't do anything about it, because they could hardly ask AOL to remove the link.

I posted that since they never responded to my ideas about good business management or a reasonable way to sucker $1.50 from their users, I was thinking about trying this. I was banned. I was accessing the site from the library last night, and every time I'd go there, I'd be on a different computer cuz there were a lot of people at the library. I kept accessing the site from a different IP address, so I guess they just banned an IP range. Hmm I wonder if Memorial library is in that range, I was only at College library last night.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

you could try going to the doam computers. THe libray ones could be running off of a singal Routor IP address
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Can't you tell AOL about DeadAIM anyway? Even if you're not hosting the file on their service or whatever..

I mean, DeadAIM is nothing like AIM+ .. it's not just an Add-on.. it actually integrates into AIM... altering the files. (I think).

That right there breaks the TOS and EULA of AIM.

AOL would get pretty upset about that..and could even have DeadAIM shut down! :roll: :twisted: