Viewing Profile Mess-Up

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Matt

Viewing Profile Mess-Up

Post by Matt »

I found a major bug in AIM and I dont know how it got there...

I was trying to install a winamp output plugin that outputs the song you are listening too in an html file. The plugin is called Do Something! and this is the website: http://www.oddsock.org/tools/dosomething/. This website gives directions on how to do it: http://www.sheilnaik.com/howtos/aimwinamp/. I basically followed the directions....except...instead of FTPing the file, I put a direct link to the AIM Profile in c:\documents and settings\matt\application data\aim\kooltab101\info.htm. This only worked...but only when I restarted AIM...so I turned off the plugin and deleted everything. Now, I have problems viewing AIM Profiles. Let me get Anthony (PhaseDMA)'s for example:
This is what it is supposed to look like:
Rhinos - 5th best franchise in the world (Only better teams are (in no order) Green Bay, Manchester United, LA Lakers, and Yankees)
#16 Avril - May 18th

Ever notice Sarahs hang out with other Sarahs?

I'm using AIM+ (Ad-Removal, Logging, Transparency, and Cloning [Multiple Instances of AIM]!)
But...this is what I see:
Rhinos - 5th best franchise in the world (Only better teams are (in no order) Green Bay, Manchester United, LA Lakers, and Yankees)
#16 Avril - May 18th

Ever notice Sarahs hang out with other Sarahs?

I'm using AIM+ (Ad-Removal, Logging, Transparency, and Cloning [Multiple Instances of AIM]!)

<HTML><BODY BGCOLOR="#000080"><B><FONT COLOR="#ffff00" BACK="#008000" FACE="Century Gothic" SIZE=2>Rhinos - 5th best franchise in the world (Only better teams are (in no order) Green Bay, Manchester United, LA Lakers, and Yankees)<BR></FONT><FONT COLOR="#ff0000" FACE="Century Gothic" SIZE=5>506<BR>#16 Avril - May 18th<BR><BR></FONT><FONT COLOR="#ffff00" BACK="#ff8040" FACE="Century Gothic" SIZE=2>Ever notice Sarahs hang out with other Sarahs?</B></FONT></BODY></HTML><BR><BR><FONT SIZE="-1">I'm using <a href="http://www.big-o-software.com/">AIM+</a></FONT> <FONT SIZE="-2">(Ad-Removal, Logging, Transparency, and Cloning [Multiple Instances of AIM]!)</FONT>
Here is a SS to show you...

This does have a benefit...as I can see what some people put as their profile etc., but it is also rather annoying. Has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing before? If so, how can I fix it (I already tried deleting info.htm...and that does nothing...).

I will probably end up having to reinstall AIM but am open to suggestions on what to do if anyone has any knowledge on this sort of error. I am rather tired rite now and will probably go to bed within the hour, so most questions will get answered tomorrow...(or later today, however you want to look at it).

Matt
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Hmmm..strange indeed. I'd say just reinstall.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Just to note...the WinAMP plugin does not integrate with AIM...I did that integrating myself when I told it to output to the info.htm file.....
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Edited: I Just reliease I meant for this post go in another thread sorry
Last edited by Timelessblur on Sun May 11, 2003 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

very odd..... :-?

try turning the winamp plugin back on, and having it save to a file again, and this time, examine the source of that file.... ya know.. just see if there was anything besides your everyday html in it.

i dunno what would make AIM keep doing that though.....

(im assuming you already tried simply resetting your comp?)

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Matt

Post by Matt »

I just restarted my computer and that did nothing (I still have the problem). Let me try to explain how the output works. I create a "Template" file that includes all my profile info plus a line of code that contains "Currently playing: %%CurrentSong%% - %%CurrentSongLength%%. That file gets put in a directory somewhere and the program in winamp calls that file and outputs another file (which I set as info.htm) containing which song is playing and the length. As you can see, there is no real integration with AIM as I integrated everything myself.

I will probably have to uninstall and install AIM...but I don't want to do that until I backup my away messages. Does anyone know how to go about doing that (I know it involves editing the registry...
-Matt
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

You're going to have to reinstall AIM. The parser for the profiles has been corrupted somehow.

To back up your away messages... look here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger (TM)\CurrentVersion\Users\(yourscreennamehere)\IAmGoneList
:D
Matt

Post by Matt »

yea...I uninstalled/reinstalled AIM (after backing my my registry) and its all back to "normal"

thanks for your help, guys...
-Matt
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

No problem...
:D
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

i get that problem when i use goodaim... it sometimes wont let me view profiles or it will do what kooltab had above............................
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"