More Cool % Commands

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

More Cool % Commands

Post by Guest »

Cool commands would be nice. More stuff then just %n, and %t
for example %b would display total buddies on line and stuff
also, like %rn can displayed stored real name of a person. Basically enhance things
another guest

Post by another guest »

word!

great idea.

lets think up good useful %-variables that are implementable
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

I like this idea.

I enjoyed the % commands even more before AOL included them in the dialogs. Now everyone uses them. :)
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

a few variables

Post by EvilJolly »

System uptime, OS, available/total RAM, CPU usage, IP address (could be useful for people running game servers), and maybe even number of messages recieved while away? Perhaps we could even tie this into the IM forwarding found here...
http://discuss.big-o-software.com/viewtopic.php?t=415

Matt
AcceptTheCompliment

what i'd like

Post by AcceptTheCompliment »

what i'd like is something to be keyed into when you went away. for example, you could set an away message as "i'll be back in 15 minutes, i left at (time)." then you could save that message and not have to deal with resetting the time every time you use that message.

or, a better idea, you could set it to say "i'll be back in (counter) minutes. you could set the counter to 15 minutes, then 3 minutes later your away message would tell people you'd be back in about 12 minutes. that'd be handy, huh?
AndrewDiablo324

yea those are fun

Post by AndrewDiablo324 »

yea those %n %t %d are fun there should be more :wink:
IM A SICK DOG!!! LOL
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Good suggestion. I've often wanted more than the %n %t etc. This should be fairly easy to implement as long as the variables are easy enough to find.
splisks
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by splisks »

Whoa, that'd be really fun to add more. Everyone uses them and they do become very handy.
(Ex. Perhaps %... things to access cookies to make better and more enjoyable Ideas.)
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

I don't like the %t and %d ones because it gives the current time and date instead of when it was created. It'd be much better if I could put a "Profile Last Updated: %m" or "Away Message Set At: %s" in.
Puns don't kill people. People kill people... usually with guns, knives, or something else physically threatening... puns just don't quite cut it... unlike knives, which cut a lot of things...
Punny Buddy Icons: assbuddy.tk
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

that would be great to have more than jus %t %n and %d because i use them a lot and that would be great......that was a great idea
tone
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

I know this is an old post but i just thought of something. I dont think this will work. When you log into aim, aim sends your info.html to the main server (i know this cuz when my friends computer crashes i can still see his profile but not im him). It then sends %d instead of the date. SO the client translates the %d into the date. So if you want new % commands, the other user must also have AIM+ v3. And if you link to a site with target="_self" aim wont resolve %d, i think.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Robpol86 wrote:I know this is an old post but i just thought of something. I dont think this will work. When you log into aim, aim sends your info.html to the main server (i know this cuz when my friends computer crashes i can still see his profile but not im him). It then sends %d instead of the date. SO the client translates the %d into the date. So if you want new % commands, the other user must also have AIM+ v3. And if you link to a site with target="_self" aim wont resolve %d, i think.
The AIM buddy info viewer will resolve the % commands and smilies to profiles subprofiles, et al. I don't know what happens to you profile when you log on, but I do know that away messages are sent directly from the user's computers. Even if it weren't feasible for profiles, it definitely is for away messages, which are the focus of this topic.
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

I'm not sure how feasible it would be to create more % commands, I figure that you and the other person would have to have a compatible version of AIM+ for this to work. But, yeah, I like the idea.
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

nybbles wrote:I'm not sure how feasible it would be to create more % commands, I figure that you and the other person would have to have a compatible version of AIM+ for this to work. But, yeah, I like the idea.
why do you say that you can make the commands set to your computer and aim+ will pick them up as you type and fillin the blanks it not like a server issue or anything
tone
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

t0ne wrote:
nybbles wrote:I'm not sure how feasible it would be to create more % commands, I figure that you and the other person would have to have a compatible version of AIM+ for this to work. But, yeah, I like the idea.
why do you say that you can make the commands set to your computer and aim+ will pick them up as you type and fillin the blanks it not like a server issue or anything
Well, if AIM interprets the % commands at the receiver's end then you would need to both have AIM+, however, as you point out, if the way AIM sends % commands, is in an expanded mode, for example, if it doesn't send %n, but instead sends USER_SN, I guess it could work.