Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

ashtray
Addict
Addict

if i could curse here, it would be directed at the mpaa

Post by ashtray »

Folks,
a machine in your residence hall room has been identified by an outside agency as one distributing copyrighted materials. Recently, 4 students at other universities settled out of court with the music industry for similar charges and agreed to pay between $12,000 and $16,000 in damages. You are at risk. Future complaints of copyright infringement may result in referal to Student Judiciary.
[355-****]

James L. Wolf, Ph.D.
Director, Academic Computing Services
Binghamton University (SUNY)

Phone:(607)-777-6194

Fax: (607)-777-4009

This just arrived in my email, moments after a phone call from Dr. Wolf himself.
please stop. now.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Were you one of the culprits?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

No offence to ashtray, but you would have to be a idiot to say anything other then "No" on a public forum.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
ashtray
Addict
Addict

Post by ashtray »

well obviously it wasn't me. file sharing is illegal. duh. but i do have 2 roomates.
please stop. now.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Maybe it was one of them then....

Now I'm curious: are they cracking down on internal sharing via school LANs, or sharing via KaZaA or something...hmmm... :-?
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

they could go either way on me. I dont share anything over Kazaa. I just dl stuff with it (and yet I still have a supreme being rating)
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
ashtray
Addict
Addict

Post by ashtray »

DADINK13 wrote:Now I'm curious: are they cracking down on internal sharing via school LANs, or sharing via KaZaA or something...hmmm... :-?
in my case, its kazaa or someother p2p prog. however i did see a case in which students designed a file sharing prog that worked solely on their campus network. they were promptly sued and lost big time, to the tune of $56,000, or some other equally outrageous sum. the 4 people involved in the suit ended up paying the amounts refered to in the email sent to me.

from what i've gathered, the mpaa goes onto kazaa and searches for any given file, such as a particularly popular film, and goes to each user and tries to download it and can somehow sniff out the ip address. then they use the ip address to find out that i'm on campus and procede to send a letter to the university threatening legal action against them if they allow such illegal actions to continue. the university of course, knows the location assigned to each ip address. however, in my room for example, there are three different ethernet ports. therefor, the ip address of the "culprit" could be any of the three. to determine which is which, the university would probably have to look at our individual computers and determine what ip address each of us is using. either way, the mpaa can suck a fat one.

EDIT:: http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/target.html
check that out. absolutely ridiculous.
please stop. now.
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

I sell pirated Microsoft software.

Come get me Bill Gates.
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

ashtray wrote:however i did see a case in which students designed a file sharing prog that worked solely on their campus network.
What people did and still do at my old school was share files over the network via Windows File Sharing. Then either you could browse the computer manually, or use MP3Voyeur. No programs were designed, and it was all done internally.

However, I spoke with the Network Admin up at my old school while I was still there, and he mentioned something about "cracking down on students with illegal MP3s." So I dunno really..
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

PhaseDMA wrote:No offence to ashtray, but you would have to be a idiot to say anything other then "No" on a public forum.
I don't think it matters. I highly doubt it would be admissible as evidence, and certainly not as a real confession.
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

Hey! Mine was a real confession!
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Axilla wrote:Hey! Mine was a real confession!
You're not the focus of everybody's attention right now.. :P
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Michael wrote:
PhaseDMA wrote:No offence to ashtray, but you would have to be a idiot to say anything other then "No" on a public forum.
I don't think it matters. I highly doubt it would be admissible as evidence, and certainly not as a real confession.
Maybe not but it's still something I would ever do after being accused...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ