How do you earn a buck?

Whatever (keep it TV-14).

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, Anthony

Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

How do you earn a buck?

Post by Michael »

I just got back from work a bit ago, and it made me think of something -- How do you guys earn your dollars?!

I'm a nerdy computer guy. :-P I work at a local university in their "Information Services and Resources" department. My current project is building MS Access databases and the ASP pages that will read/write to them. Fun stuff. Actually, I was delayed getting home today because there's an error in my code on one of the pages I can't find!

My primary job is a technical writer, which is a lot more fun that it sounds, actually. Basically, when the university gets some new "toys," I take 'em apart, play around with 'em, and then write a few documents to tell others how to do the same stuff. Then I mark these docs up in XML and publish them on the webpage. Right now I am playing around with a kick-ass Dell laptop and a Dell workstation.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Well.. for my 'Dollars' .. I work at a local grocery store. :|

Frozen Food department.. i stock shelves, order the inventory..and walk around and talk to the few hot girls that work there too. :wink:

I'd like to eventually get a real 'computer nerd' job one of these days.. but I've been slacking terribly at getting my resumé out to the local businesses in the city around me. Some sort of technical person...hardware person. Hell, I'll even take a help desk position.. just to get my foot in the door...and then work my way to better paying positions.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

I work for a yacht club. I work for Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club, located on Centre Island. I drive the launch there (it's that boat that brings people to and from the dock).

It's a great job. I'm on the water all day. I'm driving a boat, doing boating-related things, and getting paid big bucks to do it. :D
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

DADINK13 wrote:I work for a yacht club. I work for Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club, located on Centre Island. I drive the launch there (it's that boat that brings people to and from the dock).

It's a great job. I'm on the water all day. I'm driving a boat, doing boating-related things, and getting paid big bucks to do it. :D
No FAIR! If I'm ever in the area.. I'll be sure to look out for ya.. maybe I'll stop by :wink: (but not likely since I live in florida.)
XIII
Addict
Addict

Post by XIII »

I get social succurity from the govt (my dad is 65, so if he has a minor child, they can go on ss too), allowence, and uh.. other things... :twisted:
Anarchy and Peace - Learn and Teach.
Kill the panda!
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Me I work at Randells (a safeway owned complain witch basicly is a grocery store.) as plasma well put i am basicly a glorifid bag boy.

In reallty I become the what ever guy there it seems. At last count I been trained to work in 5 diffent deparments. 3 of them I work in pretty regurlarly. Officaly I am a checker but that only one of my many hats

my full list of titles are
Checker
Sacker
Stocker
CBT Trainer (other wise I got a raise to show newbie how to do the ornitation program on the computer. Not really much work)
Fuel cleck
GM clerk
and my latest aditoin is floral. I had to work in there for the last 3 days because of mother day.

I have learn from this that I hate checking the most and the less people i have to put up with the better. But I must say the biggest advange to be crossed trained is when they cut hours I never seeem to loose any I just get them from antoher deparment
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

What is a sacker? I thought it was a error in spelling but the next position below it makes me think other wise.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

i referee soccer 30 bucks for 60mins not bad then i work for a real estate thing just help out there learning how to do stuff its alright but hey its money
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

Hmm... well as a college student, I realy don't earn money, more like I spend it on tuition... :evil:

But, when I do get a chance, I've been able to get some performing gigs in a couple local orchestras. I also am one of the PSU School of Music Student Recording Engineers, so I make a couple bucks recording people's recitals. What's even better is I get concert attendance credit for recording people's recitals. I figure that's one less concert I have to go to (over my 4 years I have to attend 150 concerts to get Music 101 on my schedule). Hmmm... getting paid for attending class, nice (heck, you just push the record button and listen anyway, well ok, it's a little more than that :wow: )....

Still, that is in no way going to cover my out-of-state tuition. :sad:

Donations accepted :cheesy: j/k
Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Sverdlove.com/MusicalHorizon.com "Site Admin"
http://www.sverdlove.com
http://www.musicalhorizon.com
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I work for a company that provides Database solutions to legal departments of companies (usually large one....lol). We either write the databases from scratch or implement 3rd Party packages. We are mainly a M$ shop (not by my choice), but I am using VB/VBA, Java, and HTML for my day-to-day work.
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

I sell cell phones.
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
nmrim
Addict
Addict

Post by nmrim »

i work at lakeshore doing pretty much everything...stocking, greeting, working the registers, wrapping, customer service...bleh. i don't much like it but my previous job was at zb. it is also a kids store and i worked there for about three years so i had the experience..

oh and not sure the question has been answered yet so...a 'sacker' is the guy who puts your stuff in sacks (bags)
jen

wish i could claim it but my soul is not that beautiful... www.normalform.com
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

nmrim wrote:i work at lakeshore doing pretty much everything...stocking, greeting, working the registers, wrapping, customer service...bleh. i don't much like it but my previous job was at zb. it is also a kids store and i worked there for about three years so i had the experience..

oh and not sure the question has been answered yet so...a 'sacker' is the guy who puts your stuff in sacks (bags)
That's called a bagger! Hah.. at least at my grocery store it is.
Actually..they changed the name now, sorry.. its not a bag boy (bagger) anymore.. it's Customer Service / or Carry Out Associates.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

You would think they would stick with bagger... It sounds so much better at a PR standpoint...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

Fast food manager. yippee... basically I take care of upset customers, run shifts (babysit in some instances it seems like), make the food, take the orders, handle cash, inventory... you name it, I pretty much can do it - related to our store that is.
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182