Re-check checksums

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of hkSFV.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

masken

Re-check checksums

Post by masken »

When I've made a checksum (MD5) for some files, and then burned them to CD, I want to verify the CD with the help of the checksum file safed on the CD.

Since I created the checksum on HD before burning, hkSFV has cached the results for those filenames.

I'd like a shell-extension option where one could "re-check" the checksums. Ie; bypass the cache.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Underneath the "Tools" menu in hkSFV, there is a checkbox for "Use Cached Results". You can check it or uncheck it at anytime and it takes effect immediately.

When I want to check files that I've burnt onto a CD, I just uncheck this setting and then check the files. Is this what you're looking for?
-Ryan
Big-O Software
masken

Post by masken »

Yes I know.. but since I want to use the cache, and I also have hkSFV to auto-exit, it becomes quite a few mouse-clicks to get this fixed everytime. It would be much easier if this was an option in the explorer shell extension ;)
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

OK, I understand.

I'm not sure that adding another shell extension command to the menu is the best way to solve this problem -- I'll try to think of something, though..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
masken

Post by masken »

Ok, thanks :) Well I still think it would be neat to have there, a "Re-evaluate checksums" option or something :)

Either that, or a cache-function that checks on which drives the checksums were made. If the drive where the *.sfv/*.md5 is executed from differs from the one stored in the cache-db, there could be a pop-up question saying something like
"There are cached results from this checksum file, but the last verification was done on another drive, do you want to re-check the files?"