"Enter the Matrix"

Discuss video games from NES to PS2 to PC to whatever.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Big-O Ryan wrote:it's on 4 CDs for PC, so I'm thinking there must be a fair chunk of video..).
Yea, it is 4-CDs, but you only put the last one (the Play disc) in when you play. I think all the videos were copied to your hard drive when you install--hence the 4.3Gb install requirement.

As far as the load times and such, they're minimal on my machine (P4 1.7GHz, 512Mb RAMBUS, GeForce4 Ti 4600, SBLive! Platinum 5.1). I saw a load screen for maybe two, three seconds at the most.

More when I actually play the game more....lol
145pmp
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by 145pmp »

has any here played enter the matrix for ps2? bc i want to know which is better the version for ps2 or pc. bc i dont know any1 who has played it for ps2
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

From what I've heard, there's virtually no difference between the PC, PS2, xBox, and GCN versions of "Enter the Matrix" other than control schemes and menu navigation. The PC version probably has the best graphics (even though the graphics aren't what I would say jaw-dropping.

If you have a fast enough PC, then go for the PC version. Check the requirements I posted in the first post. Those are the recommended requirements. If you don't meet those or just don't want another PC game, then go with a console version. What console you choose will be up to you. :wink:
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Well, I have my review of the game--the Windows-PC version. Gonna break it down into what I think are the five major factors: Story, gameplay, controls, graphics, sound.

The story of "Enter the Matrix" is sort-of a filler for Reloaded, written AND directed by Andy and Larry Wachowski. If you saw the Animatrix of "Last Flight of the Osiris" and play this game, you'll be filled in on things that happened in Reloaded. The story unfolds with a combination of feature-film (about one hour of footage with the entire cast of Reloaded), in-game cutscenes, and events in the gameplay. You can play as either Niobe (Jada Pinkett-Smith), captain of the Logos, or as Ghost (Anthony Wong), Niobe's XO. When playing as either character, they persue the story from two different paths that overlap at times. Some events in the game will either introduce something that happened in Reloaded, or at times coinside with Reloaded, but from a different angle.

The gameplay is both good and bad at the same time. It's bad due to the crappy controls, which I'll explain later. The gameplay is broken into three schemes: hand-to-hand combat, combat with firearms, and Focus combat. "Focus" combat is a combination of the two previous schemes, in which Niobe and Ghost slow time down around them (think "Bullet Time" from Max Payne), and also allows them to pull off a phenomenal combination of moves and stunts. While focused, you can run along walls, make long jumps, do carthweels while firing...the list goes on and on. You have limited Focus, but that recharges fairly quickly. As you progress through the game, the Focus meter grows, so you can pull moves off for a longer amount of time.

Playing as Niobe, there are times in the game where you'll have to drive, and parts where you'll have to fly the Logos. As Ghost, when Niobe's driving, you play gunner, and just shoot anything that moves. The same goes for when flying the Logos--Ghost is the gunner, trying to shoot down all the Sentinals he can. Regular on-foot gameplay is identical for both players, even though they take different paths that revolve around the central story.

There are times in the gameplay where Agents appear. My current save is just before I get chased by an Agent. Just like the movies, you either run from them, or die trying to fight them. Even when Focused, the odds of beating an Agent are very slim at the begining of the game. I'm assuming as you progress through the game you could possibly beat an Agent, but even though you did defeat it, he'll just take over somebody who's still plugged into the Matrix.

Another aspect of the gameplay is a mode called "hacking." Basically, it works like hacking a computer. You start out with minimal system access, and you have to search around the system to find ways into it. It's a lot more complicated then it sounds, but people with experience with DOS-based commands and/or computer hacking know what I mean.

The controls are either good, or they suck tremendously. Being a player of first-person shooter, I generally tend to turn the mouse sensitivity up a bit--less movement to get the crosshair where it needs to be. It works fine until you Focus. Then the mouse is overly sensitive. It's very hard to find that balance between speed in regular play and Focused play.

The rest of the controls are so-so. The driving controls are "use the arrow keys to drive" awkward. Flying is better--you use the mouse to aim and the forward/backward arrow keys to move. Swithing between hand-to-hand mode and weapons mode is a breeze--just punch a button.

Hand-to-hand combat is very cleverly done. As soon as you make contact with an enemy, the camera switches to a free-roving mode where you can spin it around with the mouse. It's very useful when you're fighting multiple enemies. When Focused, you can pull off moves like multiple consecutive punches, a kick and a puch to the chest, and a whole slew of other moves that were seen in the movies. Hand-to-Hand choreography was done by Wo Ping, the same man who did it for the movies, so expect it to be as good as in the movies.

Weapons combat is similar to Max Payne. However, you shouldn't use weapons all the time because there are times when it's easier to dispatch an enemy with a choke-hold or a few punches and kicks to the face than putting a bullet in his head. Use weapons only when absolutely needed. When Focused, you can do sideways cartwheels while firing your weapons, or just run around dodging bullets and picking off the bad guys before they can even get off a single shot. I haven't played it much using firearms, so I can't explain the Focus moves other than the cartwheels.

Graphics are average. There's nothing awe-inspiring in the graphics. The models of Niobe and Ghost are very well detailed, but the NPCs are only so-so. When Focused, you can see the vacuum from bullets like in the movies, but I think it could've been made to look better than it does. There is fire, reflective surfaces, and all the usuals of a game made recently. My biggest peeve about the graphics was the fact that Niobe's car has square wheels. What the hell is that about?? While the graphics may not be the best, they work well with the gameplay. I just wish that they had liscenced an engine for the game. The Max-FX engine (Max Payne) would've worked great for it with some modifications.

Sound isn't bad. Expect to hear music very similar to the music heard in the movies. SFX are pretty good too, with the sounds changing in pitch when the player Focuses. The game also makes use of EAX-HD (EAX 3.0), so you folks with an SBLive! Audigy 2 will enjoy full sound effects morphing. For people with older SBLive! cards that only support EAX 1.0 or 2.0, all you'll get is reverb effects. Voice-acting for the characters is exactly like what you'll see in the movies--decent.

Overall, it's not a bad game. It could use work. As a movie-liscened game, it's better than all the others. If it had improvements in control and graphics it would be a much better game. If you're fan of the movies, it would be a nice addition to the Matrix storyline. If you don't like the movies, then don't consider it.

Platforms: Windows-PC, PlayStation 2, GameCube, xBox