Books, Movies, Music, TV, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

'Bruce Almighty' topples 'Matrix' sequel

Post by Big-O Mark »

'Bruce Almighty' topples 'Matrix' sequel

Morgan Freeman and Jim Carrey star in "Bruce Almighty," which earned $86.4 million at the box office this weekend.

Monday, May 26, 2003

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES, California -- And on the fourth day the Lord said: Let there be an $86.4 million opening weekend for the God-comedy "Bruce Almighty," which will top the Memorial Day box office.

And there was, and it was good for Universal Pictures.

But it was not good for the Warner Bros. sci-fi sequel "The Matrix Reloaded," which earned $45.6 million to place a distant No. 2 in its second week of release, according to studio estimates Monday.

Attendance for "The Matrix Reloaded," which has collected $209.5 million since its powerhouse debut May 14, shrunk by 60 percent -- suggesting "The Matrix" is unloading quickly.

Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations Co., characterized the performance of "Bruce Almighty" as a "definite surprise."

The comedy stars Jim Carrey as a regular guy who receives the powers of God (played by Morgan Freeman) after complaining too much about life. Before getting his comeuppance, Bruce uses the abilities to look up women's dresses, torment his work rival and teach his dog to use the toilet.

"We all thought this would be a big weekend, but the question was -- would "Bruce Almighty' top 'The Matrix?"' Dergarabedian said. "Jim Carrey in a broad comedy like this is pretty much unstoppable."

The only other new film in wide release was the Michael Douglas-Albert Brooks remake of "The In-Laws," about a wild secret agent and meek doctor whose children are marrying. The comedy, based on a 1979 film starring Peter Falk and Alan Arkin, collected $9.1 million.

"The Matrix Reloaded," a sequel to the 1999 film about a computer hacker trying to unravel a parallel reality devised by machines, faced high expectations after its huge debut -- but early success may have shortened its long-term prospects.

"So many people saw that movie so quickly that it's very difficult to maintain for a second weekend," Dergarabedian said.

But the 60 percent plunge in attendance was steeper than other blockbusters, including last year's "Spider-Man" and "Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones," which saw second-weekend ticket sales fall by only 38 percent and 40 percent, respectively.

"Spider-Man" was rated PG-13 and "Clones" was PG. The R-rating for "Reloaded," Warner Bros. executives said, curtailed its audience by restricting most unchaperoned moviegoers younger than 17.

"You can't compare an R-rated movie over a holiday period with movies that appeal to a broad family audience. We have a different kind of movie," said Dan Fellman, Warner Bros. head of U.S. distribution.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Monday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Tuesday.

BOX OFFICE TOP 10

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Monday at NorthAmerican theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Finalfigures will be released Tuesday.

1. 'Bruce Almighty,' $86.4 million
2. 'The Matrix Reloaded,' $45.6 million
3. 'Daddy Day Care,' $18 million
4. 'X2: X-Men United,' $13 million
5. 'The In-Laws,' $9.1 million
6. 'Down With Love.' $5.1 million
7. 'The Lizzie McGuire Movie,' $4 million
8. 'Holes,' $3 million
9. 'Identity,' $2.6 million
10. 'Anger Management,' $2.4 million
-Mark
Big-O Software
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

Bruce almighty is open for reviews on Schwippy

http://schwippy.com/modules/myReviews/d ... php?lid=12

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Matt

Post by Matt »

That stinks that the Matrix was outbeat. I bet most people wanted to wait to see it on the iMAX screen...thus not seeing it when it first came out. I know that a couple of people I wanted to see it with didnt want to go because they wanted to wait.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I saw Bruce Almighty opening night. Waited in a line with about 150 other people. and that was the 10:45pm showing!! :D

As for The Matrix.. I think the reason it got beat at the box office is because most people didn't anticipate it as much.. it being a sequel and all. As with most movies.. sequels just aren't as good.
I bet most people wanted to wait to see it on the iMAX screen
I saw it on the Digital screen theatre near my house...and I'll be going to the nearest IMAX when it hits there as well. :)
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

x Wasted Mind x wrote: As with most movies.. sequels just aren't as good.

I pretty much figured out this theory a while ago.....

The first movie catches the attention of the audience and sets up somewhat of a story...

the second movie continues the storyline and makes it a little deeper, to get the audience interested in the third release which would conclude the story....

so the second really isnt always that totally awesome (like the first usually is)

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I saw them both over this weekend (Bruce today and I say Matrix reloads for the 2nd time on friday)
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas