Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

'Bruce Almighty' glitch prompts calls to God

Post by Big-O Mark »

'Bruce Almighty' glitch prompts calls to God

Woman Gets Phone Calls for God

Tuesday May 27

Associated Press

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. -- Dawn Jenkins isn't in the new Jim Carrey (news) comedy "Bruce Almighty," but her phone number is — and that's become a problem.

In the film, Carrey stars as a mortal who receives the powers of God. The character of God tries to reach Carrey's character by repeatedly leaving a phone number on his pager.

But instead of the usual 555 prefix used by most television shows and films, God's number is a common exchange — one too common for Jenkins' liking. It's her cell phone number.

She's been getting about 20 calls per hour, with callers asking for God before hanging up.

"What am I to do?" Jenkins wrote on an Internet forum. Reached by telephone by the St. Petersburg Times, Jenkins declined further comment, saying only she wants to hire an attorney. Officials from Universal Studios did not return telephone calls from the newspaper Monday.

Jenkins isn't alone in her plight. The number on Carrey's character's pager matches the number of a South Carolina woman who declined to give her name, but said she's been "getting aggravated to death" by the incessant calling.

It also matches the number for a call center to a group of five Colorado talk-radio stations. Ron Nickel, senior vice president for the Radio Colorado Network, was worried about what would happen Tuesday, the first regular office workday since the movie's release.

"My receptionist is going to go crazy," Nickel said.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Matt

Post by Matt »

lol...thats hilarious. I wonder what the phone number is. If I were them, I would sue Universal for big bucks....I would hate it if people called my telephone all hours of the night!
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

I know it. Should I post it?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Post it... Millions of people know it anyways... Whats 5000 more? ;)

I know I'm not calling it... Not worth making someone mad for 20 cents.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
blAkdraGon
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by blAkdraGon »

that stinks...lol...i heard about this during social studies class today...lol..of all places. all my friends told me Bruce Almighty is hilarious....i saw the trailer...it is funny. i would sue universal studios...hey..they ARE super rich anyway... :wink:
=*-dRagON-*=
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

[rant]
I don't think they should sue... I mean if I post a actuall phone number, and people start calling it are you going to sue me? It was not their intention to list a actuall phone number.

I just hope this phone number is listed for the sake of the person trying to get money... Other wise all Paramount has to say is they looked up the phone number before putting it in the movie, and didn't see anything so they went ahead with it... I mean they didn't want the phone number to look fake by having the 555 in it... Right?

The pain of changing a phone number is by far not worth more then $1000... And I don't see anything less finding it's way into court. This is just as stupid as going to court because "The company was stupid and made my coffee too hot, and I spilled it on my leg".
[/rant]
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

If it happened to me, I would consider a lawsuit.

The entertainment industry has long used 555 numbers in movies because they aren't real. It may seem more "real" to viewers, but will it actually make the movie more successful? No. Bruce Almighty will not earn one extra dollar because they used a real number instead of a fake one.

However, countless people are now suffering because of Universal's choice. You may think it's silly, but how would you feel if your phone, cell phone, pager, etc. became totally useless because the calls never stopped? How would you call out if every time you picked up the phone someone was calling? How many people only know that number? If you had to have it changed, nobody would be able to reach you.

It's a big deal to those affected by Universal's decision. There's an easy alternative for them where nobody gets hurt, and they went against an industry standard. In a world where lawsuits often end up paying millions for "damages" in cases that seemingly should be settled for hundreds, or thousands, if it were my phone number posted in Bruce Almighty, I'd be first in line to do something about it.
-Mark
Big-O Software
blAkdraGon
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by blAkdraGon »

yea....and some (or all) cell phones charge you for canceling your plan early...and for the home phone...you have to move or change it for..i don't know how much money. if your phone were to ring...endlessly, no one can get through...your phone is rendered useless
=*-dRagON-*=
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'm sure that you could switch your phone number if something like this happened... I'm also sure that changing the phone number has nothing to do with changing the plan.

I however do see Mark's point of view (and anyone else that shares it).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

haha wow that sux i would definatley make it a law suite
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Sprint PCS is my cell phone provider, and although it is technically free to change your phone number, there are a few catches. First, if your current plan is no longer available from Sprint, you must pick a new one from their existing plans. If you have a sweet deal that's no longer available, tough luck, you're stuck. Second, you must recommit for another one year service plan. If you were planning on switching providers or no longer wanted to be tangled in a contract, tough luck, again, you're stuck.

I'm sure other cell phone providers have similar circumstances for changing your number.
-Mark
Big-O Software