Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Like Schilling, Braves want to 'break' machine

Post by Big-O Mark »

Like Schilling, Braves want to 'break' machine

Sunday, June 1

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Just like Curt Schilling, the Atlanta Braves are angry with the computer system used to evaluate umpires.

After Sunday's 10-4 loss to the New York Mets, Atlanta pitchers said the Questec Umpire Information System caused plate umpire Lance Barksdale to shrink the strike zone on them.

"I wish I was close to the machine, so I could break it,'' said Ray King, who gave up a go-ahead single to Rey Sanchez. "The umps are more worried about the machine than calling the game.''

Eight days earlier in Phoenix, Schilling attacked a Questec camera. The commissioner's office has not determined whether to discipline him.

"This system is one of the worst things that has happened in baseball. They are going to feel ramifications because of the system. it's a joke,'' said Darren Holmes, who gave up a three-run homer to Jeromy Burnitz on a 3-1 pitch that capped New York's eight-run sixth inning.

"Umpires want to make calls and be themselves, but with this system, they can't,'' Holmes said. "When you have to throw it down the middle, it makes it tougher. ... Anything that is borderline, a strike or a ball, he's going to call it a ball.''

Atlanta had a 4-2 lead going into the sixth inning.

"It was unreal,'' Braves manager Bobby Cox said. "They threw a bunch of strikes and they weren't called.''
-Mark
Big-O Software