Insane Bass solo

Books, Movies, Music, TV, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Insane Bass solo

Post by DADINK13 »

I ripped this from a DVD of a concert I have. This was taken from an 11-minute version of a song, with a bass solo that is over three minutes in length. It's insane.

If anybody can name the bassist, I'll be most impressed. No hints, except that it was done on a four-string bass (sorry, no brands--that could give it away).

http://www.cdproductionsinc.com/files/bass_solo.mp3
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I could be wrong... but I'm gonna take a wild stab at this..

Is it Led Zeppelin?? :roll:
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

If you mean John Paul Jones...nope.
Matt

Post by Matt »

lol...kenny you thought same as me
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Okay....I guess I'll dish out one hint.. :roll:

He died within the past 18 months.
Matt

Post by Matt »

........didn't the bassist with the band "The Who" die about a year ago? The only reason that rings a bell is because one of my friends was (and I think still is (still listens to their music, that is)) a die heart who fan and I remember something (vaugely) about their bassist dying...because we were out of school and we were going to see a movie when I went to pick him up and he heard about it and didn't go to the movie.....

......I could be totally wrong though...
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
ashtray
Addict
Addict

Post by ashtray »

KooLTaB101 wrote:........didn't the bassist with the band "The Who" die about a year ago?
that was John Entwistle, died last june if i'm not mistaken

however, that doesnt really sound much like the who at all.
is it victor wooten?
please stop. now.
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

You're both right. It is John Entwistle. That solo was taken from an 11-minute version of "5'15" that The Who performed in 2000 at the Royal Albert Hall as a benefit concert for the Teen Cancer Trust.

They called him "Thunderfingers" for a reason...lol. When I first watched that solo on the DVD my jaw was on the floor. If anybody knows Entwistle's style when he plays, he uses an overhand finger-picking style, with a four-string Ibanez bass. For this song, the bass was equipped with a camera at the top of the stock so you can see his fingers work the strings and the frets. He was doing things ranging from standard multifinger picking, to hammer-tapping, to two-hand tappings, to even changing the tuning of the strings. It was nuts.