"cert8", "key3" and "secmod",

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

MikeZed
Veteran
Veteran

"cert8", "key3" and "secmod", what are they?

Post by MikeZed »

I'm using the latest beta and I recenlty checked my screen name's data and it had these 3 in it. What/Why are they doing there? Refer to Screen Shot:
Attachments
blah.gif
blah.gif (6.09 KiB) Viewed 1381 times

Everyone on the Big-O Software board are fucking dumbasses except MikeZed because he actually knows common sense.

Axilla is the gayest person on this board.
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

I think it has something to do with the encryption

I got this from a aold page that i had to use a Cached screenshot on google to get
12.5.3.1. Creating a certificate database
Mozilla comes with a prefilled certificate database that contains information about certificates from Verisign and other CAs (found in the file cert7.db in the user profile directory), which you can modify. However, starting with a blank database is better because it avoids the possibility of corruption.

At the prompt, create a new database by using the -N and -d options for CertUtil:

C:\NSS\bin>certutil -N -d .
Enter a password for the database. You need to reenter this password every time you issue or change certificates. CertUtil creates the files cert7.db, key3.db, and secmod.db in the same directory as CertUtil. You can delete the key3.db and secmod.db files because they do not pertain to certificate creation or modification.
BigHead
~2592~
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

That probably stores your private and public key data for the whole secure IM thing.