Best Lead Vocalist/Singer

Books, Movies, Music, TV, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Best Lead Vocalist/Singer

Post by DADINK13 »

This was a topic of discussion one morning when I was driving to work. I unfortunatly missed who was declared the best, but the competition was fierece from what I was hearing.

So the question was "Who is the best vocalist from a Classic Rock band?" They started with sixteen, and kept narrowing it down until they had a winner. The people I remember were:

Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
Bon Scott (AC/DC)
Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
Roger Daltrey (The Who)
Sammy Hagar (Van Halen)
David Lee Roth (Van Halen)
Janis Joplin
Joan Jett
Lenny Kravitz
John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Joe Cocker
Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)
Rob Halford (Judas Priest)

There were two more, but I can't remember them. I thought it was a good competition, except for the fact that Joan Jett didn't belong there. Ann Wilson of Heart should've been there instead. I consider her the female Robert Plant.

Anyways, any thoughts? Anybody else you think deserves to be on the list? No, it doesn't just have to be Classic Rock.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I think Don Henley needs to be added to that list. He's was the lead singer for The Eagles, and now has his solo career.

Also.. Jon Kay from the classic Hard rock band Steppenwolf. :D
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

hehe... Chaz aka Chester Bennington... (you had to know that one was coming). Actually, to be able to sing like he does is tough.
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Henley and Kay definatly have great voices. But look at who their up against. I think the contest was based on who can scream the best. Can they scream like Tyler, Plant, or Daltrey? Not really.

As for Chaz...nope. :P From more recent bands, I think that Kurt Cobain with his Bob-Dylan cigarette voice would fit. Eddie Vedder has this strong low voice with a tremello thrown in for sustained notes. And Scott Weiland, because his voice ranges from dark and growly, to clean and crisp.
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

What about Jonathan Davis from Korn?
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Wouldn't know. Don't listen to Korn.