high speed dial up

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

the_few_the_many369

high speed dial up

Post by the_few_the_many369 »

Hey what do you think of a faster dial up???? How can u make dial up even faster than it is!! But makin dial up faster isnt fast, or is it?? My ISP is integrity(Cuz my parents think i will look up bad sites) has this new high speed dial up, says it can make it 5x's faster. But, I downloaded it and it smeams to go a lil faster!! Check the website www.home.integrity.com. You guys probley dont care!! :( o well.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I've heard the same thing about NetZero..
They claim you can go 5x faster on just phone lines..

Which according to Infoworld.com -- I just found some info on how it works..
High Speed Dial Up uses compression and caching technologies to allow for speedier surfing.
NetZero licensed technologies from SlipStream Data, while EarthLink (NetZero's High Speed Dial Up rival) is powering its Earthlink Plus offering with Propel Software's Web accelerator.

Sounds like a good idea.. but i'd be skeptical of it.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

It's not "faster". Phone lines can only go 56k for some reason that I'm not bored enough to look up...

What they can do is compress the infomation and have you decompress it, but your still getting the same amount of data as the old systems.

Simple example: I compress 100 MBs into 50 MBs and send it to you. Now you can't do a thing with that data until you uncompress it, but your going to be able to uncompress that data a lot faster on any computer then downloading the uncompressed version right?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

i think the FCC only allows 54K on a phoneline
BigHead
~2592~
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'm pretty sure it's normal phone lines just can't carry more then 54k... After all when they were made they never thought they were going to have to transfer 10k let alone 54k (okay I have no clue how much talking on the phone needs but I doubt it's anywhere near 54k).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
itsDAhAgAo

Post by itsDAhAgAo »

that netzero thing claiming to be 5x faster over the same phone line doesn't do anything to help your downloading or uploading. it basically saves everything that loads up when you go to a website (i don't know, something to do with your cookies). so after it saves the crap saved from the website and you go back to the website later, it will load up a lot faster. i'm not too sure about this, could anyone correct me on it?

also, the fcc limits the transfer of data via a modem to 53kbps.
in bob we trust
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

itsDAhAgAo wrote:that netzero thing claiming to be 5x faster over the same phone line doesn't do anything to help your downloading or uploading. it basically saves everything that loads up when you go to a website (i don't know, something to do with your cookies). so after it saves the crap saved from the website and you go back to the website later, it will load up a lot faster. i'm not too sure about this, could anyone correct me on it?

also, the fcc limits the transfer of data via a modem to 53kbps.
what i think is kinda funny about this 'high speed' dial up.. is that Windows already has a feature for this..

It's called Temporary Internet Files. Specifically for that purpose. It checks your temp files, and the page being visited, if it hasnt changed, it loads it from temp instead of redownloading those same files again. Saves in page load times.
AaronUV
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by AaronUV »

Yes, the FCC limits data communication over residential analog phone lines to 53kbps. Why, I don't remember right now and am too lazy to look up.

All [digital] voice lines are dedicated 64kbps of bandwidth. Thus, a T1 voice trunk can carry 24 simultaneous raw phone lines. (Most T1 voice providers use compression technology to get at least 100 lines on the same T1 simultaneously)

Usually, the analog phoneline to your house is converted to digital as soon as possible by your phone carrier. Some of you even have digital phone service directly to your house, such as Comcast's latest offering.
Ultravolt Networks: Leading the digital world!
Murrieta
Just Registered
Just Registered

SlipStream %x

Post by Murrieta »

SlipStream works very well. I have demonstrated it to customers using a computer connected directly to Verizon's network and a computer connected with dialup using SlipStream. Both computers bring up various websites at the time. However, downloading and uploading of files does not compare to a direct Internet connection. For more info visit: www.murrietaonline.com , we have an area that explains exactly how it works and what is does and does not do. You can also search SlipStream 5X on Yahoo for other sites that sell this service (I think we still come up #1). If anyone would like to try SlipStream for 30 days for $11.95 send me an email and I will set up an account for you. Our regular price is $16.90. Keith, MurrietaOnline.com
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

EV1 has this. I have used it it saves a few secs on a normal webpage. the most time I have saved is a minute. The program that tells you how much time you saved loading a page. I had a problem with pages not loading the first time. So I had to refreash the page a few times. So I just uninstalled the program and reset my proxy settings. I did not think it was worth it. If you want to surf faster just turn off images.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Ah you poor people and you dail up..... Back home in houston I use DSL which is faster than any dail up there is. (1.4 megs/ sec) and here at Tech I am running off a T3 which is even faster :cheesy:
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas