AIM launches when Outlook Express is opened

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

IanCube

AIM launches when Outlook Express is opened

Post by IanCube »

This problem has been bugging me for a while now and I know there must be a way to fix it because it didn't used to happen to me.

Operating System XP Home
Version of AIM 4.8.2790
Steps to reproduce the bug on your machine Have AIM 4.8.2790 installed on your machine as well as Outlook Express version 6.00.2800.1123. Open Outlook Express up, and you will see the splash screen come up, then AIM will launch, and then it will take about another 30 seconds for Outlook Express to finally open.

If you try it with AIM already running it will sign you off and on again.

This is a real pain because I already have AIM running usually when I go to open up Outlook Express, and it has caused the load time for Outlook Express to go from about 5 seconds to around a minute. I've searched on Google and there are a couple of sites that talk about this problem (http://forum.webzila.com/index.php?s=35 ... owtopic=91) but they all say to either go into AIM's options and turn it off or go into Outlook's options and turn it off but I see no where to do this in either.

Here's another site where they give directions on how to fix this issue, but I don't see where to go. http://www.computing.net/windows2000/ww ... 49521.html

Can someone please help resolve this issue!?

Thanks,

Ian
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Ian,

On my Outlook Express (version 6), if I go to Tools->Options, there is an checkbox option called 'Automatically log on to AOL Instant Messenger'. It is located in the 'General' section on the 'General' Tab.
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
IanCube

Post by IanCube »

When I go to that "general" section on the "general" tab, I have 3 options.

1. Go directly to my 'inbox' folder
2. Notify me if there are any new newsgroups
3. Automatically display folders with undread messages

I have no option for this, and that's what's been bugging me because anyone with similar problems has this option to turn off and I dont. :evil:

Can you go to Help>About Microsoft Outlook Express and see exactly what version number of it you have?

EDIT Also what version of AIM are you running?
Thanks,

Ian
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Outlook Express: 6.00.2600.0000
AOL AIM: 5.1.3036
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
IanCube

Post by IanCube »

Yeah see I have version 6.00.2800.1123.

Anyone know what I can do?

Ian
Walker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Walker »

I do! Switch To Eudora. ;)
Walker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Walker »

I do! Switch To Eudora. ;)
itsDAhAgAo

Post by itsDAhAgAo »

I have Outlook Express v.6.00.2800.1123 and I have an option to change whether to automatically log onto AIM or not.
in bob we trust
IanCube

Post by IanCube »

Really? Where exactly is the option?

And also what version of AIM are you running with it?

Thanks
IanCube

Post by IanCube »

Isn't anyone else having this problem too? Someone must know how to fix it! :?: :o
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I don't know why you are missing the option 'Automatically log on to AOL Instant Messenger' from the General Tab of the Options for Outlook Express. I just upgraded my IE and have the same version as you and I still have the option present.
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

OK,

I read somewhere that if you go to the AIM Preferences -> Sign On/Off and uncheck the 'Make AIM my default instant messaging program' it will stop Outlook Express from opening AIM.

AOL Instant Messenger launches when launching Outlook Express

Maybe that will fix it for you. I think you have to exit out of AIM and come back in for that change to take place
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

because he has 4.8 and in the prefs under sign on/off if there is no "make aim my default instant messenger" than maybe it just makes it default and he can't do anything about it.

I'd say the only way for it to go away is to upgrade.
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

or deal with it. I have been trying to find where Windows stores those choices. It might be able to be fixed with a registry hack. I haven't had any luck
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

IanCube,

Did you ever have one of the more current versions of AIM installed (newer than 4.8 )? If you had, maybe that setting (which is checked by default) is remaining behind in the registry. We all know how well the registry cleans itself when a program is uninstalled
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley