so now DeadAim and AOL are in bed together

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

BuckWindy

so now DeadAim and AOL are in bed together

Post by BuckWindy »

http://www.jdennis.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3491

DeadAIM users,

Due to information that has been disclosed prematurely, it is necessary for JDennis.net to issue this statement and address recent issues regarding AOL.

AOL recognises the value that DeadAIM adds to AOL Instant Messenger and recently contacted JDennis.net to discuss how we could work together. Based on those discussions, DeadAIM and AOL have entered into a relationship and have agreed to work together on future projects.

What does that mean to you as a DeadAIM user? Well, at the moment it doesn't mean much at all. What it does mean is that DeadAIM users can feel secure in the knowledge that AOL has no intention of mounting legal action against JDennis.net and that DeadAIM will not be sued out of existence. We hope that working closely with AOL will improve the credibility of JDennis.net Ltd while continuing to provide a top quality instant messaging experience for AIM users.

We are sure that many of you have questions but please understand that many of the details are as yet undecided and it is premature to share specifics at this time.

Thanks again for supporting DeadAIM!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

:sigh: It's getting harder and harder to post in the correct thread these days.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

especially when there is already a thread about it...
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

BuckWindy

my thread was first

Post by BuckWindy »

this is bullsh*t, I carefully searched around and saw absolutely no other post in this forum discussing the deadaim/aol alliance. And now I come on to see who has replied to my unique thread, and now all of a sudden there's another thread out of nowhere dealing with the same topic. I don't care what the timestamp says, there was no other thread topic discussing the whole issue of jdennis.net working with aol at the time of my posting. Mine was the original, i even included the exact link where u can read it right from the horse's mouth, mr James Dennis himself:
http://www.jdennis.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3491
BuckWindy

so anyhoo

Post by BuckWindy »

I'll post my thoughts only to this thread. Well, I don't really know what to make of this, could it be that AOL was impressed by JDennis' software? Were they just too lazy to code the same features themselves? If aol integrates all the deadaim features into aim 6.0 and release it for free, will all the people who already paid 5 bux for deadaim get their money back? Does this mean that aol was UNimpressed with aim+? These are all valid questions, it'll be quite interesting to see what the answers will turn out to be.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

BuckWindy,

There was a thread originated by Axilla that was in the General forum that was started yesterday (08/18/2003). Axilla only starts threads in the General forum and waits for Mark to move them to the correct forum. From the sounds of your post, you only checked the AIM Miscellaneous forum to see if a thread had been started. Unfortunately, you need to do a global search to find a topic. The duplicate thread was right on the top of the General Forum.

I'm not yelling or complaining about the duplicate post just saying that one can't always assume a topic is being discussed in the correct forum
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
BuckWindy

Post by BuckWindy »

harra wrote:BuckWindy,

There was a thread originated by Axilla that was in the General forum that was started yesterday (08/18/2003). Axilla only starts threads in the General forum and waits for Mark to move them to the correct forum. From the sounds of your post, you only checked the AIM Miscellaneous forum to see if a thread had been started. Unfortunately, you need to do a global search to find a topic. The duplicate thread was right on the top of the General Forum.

I'm not yelling or complaining about the duplicate post just saying that one can't always assume a topic is being discussed in the correct forum
I didn't see any other thread discussing this topic anywhere on this forum. Every time I post something to the general forum, it's get moved over here anyway, so it's pointless to go on a wild goose chase when everything ends up in this forum anyway.
Anywayz, I posted some interesting questions, from now on, let's discuss the issue of the deamaim/aol relation. No more childish "i was here first" replies.
Here's another interesting question, DeadAim was originally designed to De-AD aim, meaning remove the ads, so will aim 6.0 have no ads at all?
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I received a customer service survey from AOL about AIM and they asked if I would be willing to pay for services such as conversation logging and tabbed windows. Most likely they are going to encorporate those "features" from DeadAIM they feel "add" to their product. If you notice from the premature notice that was quoted from the AOL representative (if it wasn't a hoax) it sounds like the DeadAIM site will be deactivated once the two "merge". In other words, most likely DeadAIM will no longer exist as a product originally designed to remove ads
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
BuckWindy

Post by BuckWindy »

Perhaps they'll have a pay version that will have no ads and all the deadaim features, but they'll charge for this 'advanced' version. And maybe that new version will have video chat abilities. But who knows, we're just speculating here.
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

if they were to make us pay i would be so pissed.....plus they would definitely lose a lot and a lot of customers of aim..and would then lose the race between yahoo and msn messengers.
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
SteveH5

Post by SteveH5 »

[]DaT_MaNN03 wrote:ifthey would definitely lose a lot and a lot of customers of aim..
They would lose users. They dont become customers until they buy somthing.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

BuckWindy wrote:Perhaps they'll have a pay version that will have no ads and all the deadaim features, but they'll charge for this 'advanced' version. And maybe that new version will have video chat abilities. But who knows, we're just speculating here.
I sure as hell wouldn't pay for it.

But of course its nice to see that they finally incorporate these Long Needed features after years of meaningless and stupid features..

Maybe the IM market will turn around and actually start implementing these useful features for what the USERS want...and not want They want.
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

Everyone should just start using BitWiseChat. Leave AIM, MSN, and Y! behind. I'm on it all the time. They are adding a lot of new and usefull features in the next release. They have an alpha out if you want to test it out. I think we should start using BWC. You can still get just about any name you want. Because BWC is still kinda new.

http://www.bitwisechat.com/
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

<patiently awaits the revivial of AIM+>