Ability to Moderate

Whatever (keep it TV-14).

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, Anthony

Anthony

Ability to Moderate

Post by Anthony »

Micah said in another thread:
insomica wrote:Just because your a mod there does not mean you have to know something about the program. Your just there to mod 'bad' stuff.
I just wanted to say that I very much disagree with this statement. I think in order to Moderate something you have to have a intrest in it, or if not that um... Want to look at it.

If you were to say give a Moderator job to someone that would try to do their job, but other wise would have no reason of viewing it your going to have people to scan the posts for bad stuff, and they will end up missing things because they are just scanning.

I just thought I would bring this up... I would never accept a Moderator job for something I wouldn't enjoy looking at (and that includes on more boards that get more hits then here ( I would NEVER accept a job to Moderatate the MODS section at phpBB... Simply because I don't view it, and would have no intrest in viewing it for that one reason)).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I agree with Anthony......

Moderation of Off-Topic forums is one thing, but when you are talking about moderating forums that are meant to provide something more than just whimsical conversation, then there should be some inherant interest in the subject material. For some reason, many members of bulletin boards think that moderators are gurus in the area they moderate and that is the reason they were given their moderation "powers". In reality, they are usually viewed as honest, trustworthy members who would do a good job at "keeping the peace".
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Matt

Post by Matt »

I agree with both of you. In order to be a sufficient moderator, you need to have interest in the area as well as contribute to the cause. Lets say, for example, three new moderators were picked to help out at these forums. You would be picked because you a) know a lot about AIM+ and hkSFV (hopefully...) as well as contribute to the forums. You would be viewed as a 'god' (besides Mark and Ryan) because you were promoted from the status of measley member to mighty moderator. People would view you as someone they can contact if they have questions about AIM+ or hkSFV.

This reminds me a while back when someone IMed me asking me to make them a moderator. I first told them I couldn't give them the power to make them a moderator and asked them who they were (assuming it was someone who didnt know anything...). They said they just registered that day and wanted to become a moderator. I told them very kindly that they couldn't become a moderator because they aren't qualified. They were like "How do i be qualified" and I told them they needed to devote their time to the cause of Big-O-Software.

Now that I think about it, moderators ARE moderators BECAUSE they devote their time to the good of the software. I disagree with Micah's statement about moderators not needing to know about the forum because I believe to be a good moderator you need to know how to handle people and you need to be mature. This is a very professional board and moderators help keep it what it is.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

well dang i guess i was wrong :(
Bitwise: insomica ->Image