Microsoft OneNote!

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Microsoft OneNote!

Post by Plasma2002b »

ok... so i was watching this Paid Endorsement BS on TechTV..... Microsoft Insider..... yeah... its just a half hour long commecrcial about microsoft stuff.

What they were talking about was the new MS Office 2003 suite.

And yeah.... im pretty impressed. The new stuff like Outlook is amazing i guess.... but im not really the kinda person to use outlook anyways, so yeah.

BUT........... aparently theres a NEW program thats getting added to the suite. (until now, the only major progs were Word, Excel, PPT, Access and Frontpage)

Microsoft OneNote is a note taking application, for lack of a better description. ;)

Now that dont really sound all that exciting.... but i can tell ya from experience that things like Word or any other text editor jsut DONT cut it when tyour in a lecture class and you need to take notes.... or what about a math class and you need to draw diagrams along withyour notes? There just wasnt enough definability in things like Word.

But in OneNote you can do pretty much anythign you could on a pad of paper and more. Its in the format of a 3-ring-binder.... IE the tabbed sections and multiple pages in those sections.

All kinds of drag-n-drop movability with objects and text..... all the standard formatting stuff like whats already in word and stuff....

one thing i thought was cool is the ability to turn your microphone on and record something like a lecture and OneNote will record all along and what you can do is have it have links to the certain parts of that sound file that was happening at the exact time you were writing that specific not that you click on.

And whats more amaxing is that you can leave that recording and it wont bottom out your HD..... they got the algorithm down to a mere 7mb per hour :o

I can honestly say i cant wait for the new Office to come out..... i only wish i had this back in my class lectures.... taking notes on my laptop worked, but it just wasnt good enough for what i wanted ;)

if ya wanna look at the site, the MS link is:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview ... efault.asp

(and no, the preceeding has not been a paid endorsement by the microsoft cooperation)

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Re: Microsoft OneNote!

Post by DADINK13 »

Plasma2002b wrote:(and no, the preceeding has not been a paid endorsement by the microsoft cooperation)
lol.... :lol:

Sounds pretty neat. I really don't have any intent on buying Office 2003. I use Outlook religiously however. I use it to organize my life. I should take a look to see what new features the whole suite has.

But since I don't own a laptop, then that OneNote thingy wouldn't be useful to me. :wink:
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

sweet. And I will be getting it for free from the school to. They school Tech store stated they where supised that they couldnt get it for the student all ready
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

makes me wish I had a laptop :(
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

Damn piraters here at Penn State, they aren't giving out any free software this year, because of the damned pirating. Microsoft refused to renew the contract with PSU, because of all the cracked WinXP CDs, yes, it's the PSU version you find out there.... Luckily, I got that for free legally.
Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Sverdlove.com/MusicalHorizon.com "Site Admin"
http://www.sverdlove.com
http://www.musicalhorizon.com
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

well they renew here at Tech. They are working on getting Office 03 from Microsoft. I am looking forward to getting it. I have saved over 1000 though getting software though the school *mathcad 11 I only paid 130 be a good chunk of it. ANd I got Vison studio form the school for 35. And I am planing on soon buying Autocad LT 04 for 350 from the school
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

Our school let's the students get WinXP, Office Xp, and Front Page for 10 each. (I'm pretty sure that's what it is) and you can get it every year. They keep track through BiG Charge (stupid credit card like thingy they have for us that at least doesn't charge interest).
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

Moon Child wrote:Our school let's the students get WinXP, Office Xp, and Front Page for 10 each. (I'm pretty sure that's what it is) and you can get it every year. They keep track through BiG Charge (stupid credit card like thingy they have for us that at least doesn't charge interest).
yeah they still give out some deals on some software, but it used to be all free, but this year nothing from M$... that pisses me off, cuz, I was really looking forward to Office 2003
Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Sverdlove.com/MusicalHorizon.com "Site Admin"
http://www.sverdlove.com
http://www.musicalhorizon.com
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

it cost money here to buy the cds (like 5 bucks a CD) but you can download them all for free
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

I have OneNote. I never installed it though...
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

install it!! :x

........then get your asspertain back here and give a writeup :D

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

i think i have the beta version too :lol:
BigHead
~2592~
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

I only have one license and I'm gonna save it for the laptop I'm gonna get.
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

You mean you can't install it on one computer. Then uninstall off of that computer. Then install it on a new computer? That sucks.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

M$FT is a pain about that so I'm not gonna take any chances. I ordered my laptop, it'll be here in about 2 weeks!