Failed Trying to Clone AIM (finding mutex)

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Rob Fitz

Failed Trying to Clone AIM (finding mutex)

Post by Rob Fitz »

AIM: 4.8.2646

When I try to start AIM+ by opening the file, it gives me an error messege: "Failed Trying to Clone AIM (finding mutex)". It makes no change to the regular AIM at all. The history viewer can be opened, but naturally there is no history to be viewed so it is blank. Basically, it doesn't work with my setup.
Dura

Same problem

Post by Dura »

I have the same problem. (finding mutex). Does anyone know what this means? I am also using windowsME.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I have no idea why you're receiving that error message.

However, are you trying to clone AIM? If you just want to use AIM+, you need to shutdown AIM first (Exit, from the My AIM menu, or the system menu). Wait a moment, then run AIM+. It should not be trying to clone at this point.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
chris

ya

Post by chris »

i have the same problem trying to clone aim+ its wierd it just brings up an error message and will not clone.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

If you're running AIM version 4.7 or newer, you really shouldn't see this ever message at all, ever.

Does this happen every time you try to clone, or just sometimes?
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Robfitz

hrmmmm

Post by Robfitz »

well, it doesn't happen when i try to clone. Actually, I have never even seen anything that says I can clone. If I launch AIM+ without AIM open, it just opens regular AIM. If AIM is open, it gives the mutex error. Basically I have never even seen AIM+ run at all. I think it has something to do with WinME...
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Robfitz: Thank you for following up - I have a much better idea of what is going on right now.

I still don't have an answer for you, unfortunately. It isn't simply that you're running WinME (we certainly have a lot of users who run AIM+ under ME), but it does look like that may have something to do with the problem..

You're not the only one having this problem, so if you think you wouldn't mind spending a few minutes trying to help me figure this out, e-mail me your SN and I'll contact you right away (big-o@myrealbox.com).
-Ryan
Big-O Software
RoCk

Mutex Error

Post by RoCk »

I am running AIM+ in Windows 98 second edition and i am also getting the mutex error when I attempt to clone AIM? Does anyone know the problem?
Rob Fitz

New computer

Post by Rob Fitz »

Well,I just finished building my new system and started with Win98. I am now using AIM+ perfectly fine. I can still help with the problem by using the other system but I am satisfied with the software here :o)
um better than u

error

Post by um better than u »

I'm using Win98 and have aim version 4.7.2468 and i get that error "Failed trying to clone aim (finding mutex)" also.. I've never had it work yet..any ideas on fixing that?? :wink:
mooseagency
Just Registered
Just Registered

I've ran into this problem AND its solution.

Post by mooseagency »

OMG, i've run into this problem, and i figured my way around it, but im having a hard time remembering, -its in the back of my head right now and i'll get back to you guys on that.
Santos L. Halper
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Santos L. Halper »

I have the same problem...here are my specifics
- Windows 98
- AIM 4.8.2790
- Just like everyone else, I get that "mutex" message if AIM is open and when it's closed. I tried to uninstall AIM+ and then download it again, but even after all that, I still get that message.

I know those posts were old, but i was hoping maybe it got fixed by now. Any info on it?
kronicommando
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by kronicommando »

I'm having the same problem with this "mutex" thing. I'm running ME as well.
NashDavid182
Just Registered
Just Registered

That Damn MUTEX message

Post by NashDavid182 »

:evil: Every time I go to clone AIM+ it gives me the mutex message. I have version 4.8.2646 and it still won't work. I've used that x-zero thing before to get two aols but i thought AIM+ was so much easier. I think that X-Zero might be it but I'm not sure. Somebody tell me what to do!!!!!! :evil:
Pdavey05
Just Registered
Just Registered

That Damn MUTEX message

Post by Pdavey05 »

Hey everyone,

I have the same problem only im running xp... can u all help me out please! ty PLEASE if anyone has found out anything just do me a favor and e-mail me. :wink: thanks - pete