Brain Size

Whatever (keep it TV-14).

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, Anthony

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Intresting :)

If the brain writes over old data in that fashion, do you believe it fully over writes it, or do you think (And I don't mean to compare this to a computer, but I'm going to) it's like a picture, and you can still see what is under it (at least for a time), and this is why you can remember parts and things but not everything?

^ Long question
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

good point........

cause yeah.... you can recal certain things long 'forgotten' if you try hard enough. so that proves thats the memories are actually still there, theyre just buried so deep that regular brain activities cant 'see' them, but a meditated brain can.

so yeah..... putting phase's and zel's two theories together makes sense...

The brain is a canvas. A new memory gets stored as a picture on a blank page, then when we get another memory, it gets written as a picture as a new page on top of that one. (or hell, a new layer if we wanna talk photoshop style :P)

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
zel
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by zel »

but can you really remember them? after the actual image is gone, there is like a 'shell' composed of basic information (eg, it was a square, it was blue...) when you 'remember' the image its being rebuilt with similar pieces of the puzzle.

Im sure this has happened to you before, have you ever watched an anime, then tried to remember a scene from another anime? for a moment (for me at least...) the anime im trying to remember appears in the style of the anime I just watched, until my brain can get a hold of what the anime actually looked like...
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

well there is something you forget about some of the infotion you brain stores that would help add up to 10 tearbites. Just think about how difficult is and how much it has to store and know how to do to just make you do some of you simple everyday funituction. Plus you it has to know tons of words there meaning then how to produce those same sounds which in it self is a very complex process for your body. Yeah it may seem like you dont store an extramly large amount of info but there is tons of infomatoin that is used by you brain for everyday funiction. Just the hardwaring and the programing you use just to simple move much less run jump type and all that. It extramly complex and a huge amont of info
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

zel wrote:the anime im trying to remember appears in the style of the anime I just watched, until my brain can get a hold of what the anime actually looked like...
until my brain can get a hold of what the anime actually looked like...
You just stated something, and then voided it in the same post...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
zel
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by zel »

right. i need to clarify:

I am guessing that during that time my brain is trying to rebuild the style of the anime im trying to remember. Because usually, even after having 'remembered' it, once I actually watch the anime I notice details that werent there/were different in my memory.

Also, counting the whole brain I think that 10TB+ would be a good fit. but im talking about general memory that could hold any sort of 'file types'. eg, I dont think you could remember what a pizza tastes like with your muscle memory.

... then again, is there a part of your brain that can hold any 'file' type? maybe its just spread everywhere....

...gah, my brain has no idea what its talking about. ignore it.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

zel wrote:Also, counting the whole brain I think that 10TB+ would be a good fit. but im talking about general memory that could hold any sort of 'file types'. eg, I dont think you could remember what a pizza tastes like with your muscle memory.
This is what I want to know - Everything...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

ok stop comparing the human brain to a computer. theyre too different.
the brain only stores important or needed information from images that we see. thats y after a while we only remember the part that we were focusing on. for example. ur at a football game, during the game ur focusing on the players. a few minutes after u remember most of wat u saw, even possibly the background.
as time passes u "forget" what u saw in the background and only remember the player(s) that u were focusin on.

now, if the brain cant hold much data because it overwrites it, i find that hard to belive. for once, the brain remembers almost all faces you see, and usually links them to more information (name, etc).
also, what about vocabulary? and how to use it? thats more to store. then comes body functions, that also requires storage of some sort. different lobes of the brain stores and processes differnt things. you cant measure the amound of space your brain uses by using a binary value. thats just childish
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I almost edited that, but decided to be nice...

Unless you have sources don't say it is or isn't a certain way...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I might like to point out that the brain oporatis basicly on a biniany code. They have figure that much out. They are slowing learning how to desifer that code to what it means
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

I dont think there is a set "value" that determines the amount of things, memories, whatever you want to call them, the brain can hold. I think that as you get older, your brain "grows" more. You learn new things, and these are saved. Each memory creates its own new space. And you never quite "lose" anything, its never "deleted," you just forget which folder it's in. Just my opinion, don't quote me and call me wrong.[/b]
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
Jrrtt37
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jrrtt37 »

i agree, no one has ever Filled the brain to the max anyway, if there was a set number or amount of how much it could hold, would we of not reached it ? yes, you can argue "not yet we haven't" i still hold as infinite amount.

what about others, can each brain hold the same amount? (if their is a amount) given that it's not rotton away with drugs and diseases.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hmmm....

On that note... I think people are at diffrent levels of their "current" capacity.

To throw in yet another twist....

People with mental problems, seem to be smarter (sometimes) in other ways, so while they can't move their feet to walk, and can't talk (or rather talk well) they still understand much better then others... You think this might be because the areas that were supposed to be used for other things (walking/talking/whatever) are now used to store non obvious things (I know there is a word for things you don't have to "think" about, but I can't think of it).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Here is an intersting ted bit for you that what Phase said made me think of. It been proven that people with dylixa tend to smarter than most people with a much higher IQ. Mind you those same people also more brain cells than the average person as well
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

BUT...... does more brain cells mean more smarter?

... err... more smart.

no.... aw hell, nvm

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!