hkSFV

Discuss anything related to hkSFV.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

BaBy_GuRlIe

hkSFV

Post by BaBy_GuRlIe »

ok tell me if i have it right...

this program detects bad files. but like what? does it detect bugs ant stuff like that>? :?:
@-->--- NiCoLe
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

Yes. Bugs. Damn mosquito bastards.
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?

Post by Guest »

? how does it work
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

It compares data.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Jrrtt37
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jrrtt37 »

there is a sticky right above this post that says what it does.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
BaBy_GuRlIe

Post by BaBy_GuRlIe »

the sticky confused the crap outa me...
@-->--- NiCoLe
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Let me try - Orginal version in quotes - A more simple version below the quote.
1. What is hkSFV?
hkSFV is the simply the easiest and most automatic way to create or check SFV and MD5 files. It is free, fast, small, and carefully designed to be as intuitive and attractive as possible.

2. What is an .SFV?
An .SFV file is a tiny list of files and CRCs, which allow you to check to see if the files you have downloaded are exactly what you are expecting. The CRC algorithm used in .SFV files allows you to see if the file you have has been changed, even a single byte, since the .SFV file was created.

3. What is an .MD5?
In a sense, .MD5 did not exist until now, as md5sum is a popular Unix format similar to .SFV and Unix does not use file extensions the way Windows based systems do. .MD5 uses the md5 algorithm to compute its checksums, rather than the crc32 method used by .SFV. The md5 algorithm is almost as fast as crc32, but it is much more accurate at detecting changes in files.
1. What is hkSFV?
hkSFV is a automatic way to create or check SFV and MD5 files.

2. What is an .SFV?
An .SFV file is a tiny list of files, which allow you to check to see if the files you have downloaded are exactly what you are expecting. The algorithm used in .SFV files allows you to see if the file you have has been changed, even a single byte, since the .SFV file was created.

3. What is an .MD5?
In a sense, .MD5 did not exist until now, as md5sum is a popular Unix format similar to .SFV, but it is much more accurate at detecting changes in files.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Anthony wrote:Let me try - Orginal version in quotes - A more simple version below the quote.
1. What is hkSFV?
hkSFV is the simply the easiest and most automatic way to create or check SFV and MD5 files. It is free, fast, small, and carefully designed to be as intuitive and attractive as possible.

2. What is an .SFV?
An .SFV file is a tiny list of files and CRCs, which allow you to check to see if the files you have downloaded are exactly what you are expecting. The CRC algorithm used in .SFV files allows you to see if the file you have has been changed, even a single byte, since the .SFV file was created.

3. What is an .MD5?
In a sense, .MD5 did not exist until now, as md5sum is a popular Unix format similar to .SFV and Unix does not use file extensions the way Windows based systems do. .MD5 uses the md5 algorithm to compute its checksums, rather than the crc32 method used by .SFV. The md5 algorithm is almost as fast as crc32, but it is much more accurate at detecting changes in files.
1. What is hkSFV?
hkSFV is a automatic way to create or check SFV and MD5 files.

2. What is an .SFV?
An .SFV file is a tiny list of files, which allow you to check to see if the files you have downloaded are exactly what you are expecting. The algorithm used in .SFV files allows you to see if the file you have has been changed, even a single byte, since the .SFV file was created.

3. What is an .MD5?
In a sense, .MD5 did not exist until now, as md5sum is a popular Unix format similar to .SFV, but it is much more accurate at detecting changes in files.

An even better and simpler way of putting it ..

Every single file you download has a unique "fingerprint".
To check to see if this "fingerprint" is the same after you downoaded it, (versus the file from where you downloaded from).. you use a program that generates MD5 files, or SFV files.

As previously said, those files are nothing more than a text file with algorithms inside .. in a list..

It looks like this.
d16aa75fadcd054e78f715f6c53c42b7 *Unwritten Law - 01 - Elva - Mean Girl.mp3
Obviously, the "fingerprint" section is the Alpha-Numeric code.

Now.. when you check your files, even if ONE letter and/or number is different from the original file's "fingerprint" ... you have a bad download, corrupted file, etc.

The difference between SFV and MD5 ... SFV is old standard ... and MD5 is newer ..and more accurate.

Does that explain it better? :D
BaBy_GuRlIe

Post by BaBy_GuRlIe »

oh.. thank you wasted mind.... i understand it better now.. thankx
@-->--- NiCoLe