Desktop

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

sweeney
Addict
Addict

Desktop

Post by sweeney »

I made myself an active desktop to change my desktop image every so often, the only thing is, the active desktop only works if there's an icon on the desktop. I put an icon on the desktop, and it isnt transparent...the icon text has a background, which totally screws up my image. Is there anyway around this?
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
Nathan
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Nathan »

how do you make an active desktop?
is it like a gif or something?
Bethany is cool
Plasma2002b wrote:ill open YOUR port.....!
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I believe (but could be wrong)...you're looking for alpha-transparency. But Windows doesn't support it, Sadly.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

windows xp (i think 2k and others but doubt) DOES support alpha channels on icons.

but when active desktop is enabled, xp disabled alpha channels on images/icons on the desktop. its how it works. no way around it
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

actually, this doesnt really have anything to do with the active desktop part at all.

Windows has always put a square border around the text of an icon..... it is set to the desktop background color. So if you have an image set as your background, your icon texts are gonna stand out.

There are 3rd party applications that will actually set something to the font or something that makes the block disapere. But in my opinion it looks even worse, cause the colors of the background usually clash with the text and stuff.

but hey.... o well.

I dont really know the names of anything that will do this for ya though. You can TRY tweak-ui but im not really sure.

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

Plasma2002b wrote:actually, this doesnt really have anything to do with the active desktop part at all.
Yes it does. When I don't have the active desktop enabled, there is no box around the text of my icons. There is a shadow to the text, but no color-box.
rokbass wrote:how do you make an active desktop?
is it like a gif or something?
You can actually make your normal desktop to be a .gif, you don't need to enable active desktop. I'm a little sketchy on the details, but from what I do know, its an html page.
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

yea, as u can c, xp did away w/ that annoying crap.
Attachments
proof.png
proof.png (87.7 KiB) Viewed 8638 times
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

sw³³n³y wrote:
Plasma2002b wrote:actually, this doesnt really have anything to do with the active desktop part at all.
Yes it does. When I don't have the active desktop enabled, there is no box around the text of my icons. There is a shadow to the text, but no color-box.
Right. XP's text label backgrounds are transparent, so long as active desktop is not enabled; but when it is, the text label backgrounds become non-transparent.
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

Michael wrote: Right. XP's text label backgrounds are transparent, so long as active desktop is not enabled; but when it is, the text label backgrounds become non-transparent.
So how do I make it transparent despite the active desktop? Or, is there no way..
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

well when worst comes to worst, what i do is just take off my right shoe and throw it at the tower.

It sometimes makes a noise, sometimes it doesnt.... but the end results always seem to be different.

Sometimes things work out.

You should try it

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

sw³³n³y wrote:So how do I make it transparent despite the active desktop? Or, is there no way..
As far as I know, there is no way.