Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

linux traffic shaping

Post by Robpol86 »

i typed this in another forum, trying to get the easy way out if any1 knows how
My router runs a linux distro called FloppyFW (Floppy Firewall). I got this on the harddrive because 1.44 MB isnt enough. Soon ill make my own slackware gateway but thats later on.

anyways, soon ill be getting 4 megabit wireless from work, and my boss would get angry if i used 100% of my bandwidth potential 24/7. thats fine by me, but my brothers use kazaa and other stuff that forces you to share, thus using alot of upload.

im trying to not use iptables2 right now. the linux distro does come w/ tc (traffic control) tho. i want to apply shaping on outbound traffic ONLY. i dont want to shape my download, just upload. im thinking about limiting bandwidth for ips within a range (or all ips excluding a range) to 10 kB/s upstream.

i looked around for help on messing w/ tc but it seems a bit too confusing right now (like everything does at first). does any1 here know of a good howto or tutorial that can help out my situation? or does anyone here know how to do this?
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

well.... i can honestly say that i have no clue how to do anything with that software......

but just bringing up something here..... would it be a different thing all together just to put a quota on your bandwidth? or are you more specifically wanting throttling.

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

quota in my bandwidth? as in limiting a gig a day? i dunno

i want to shape the outgoing bandwidth on my internet from the router. shape = limit. kinda like you limit speeds in an ftp server's upload or download, but applying this to everything.