home network

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

JpCT

home network

Post by JpCT »

hey, i recently had a new house built, and i'm having cable internet installed tomorrow. for our phone lines they used category 5 cables to each phone jack (as the phone line itself). my question is, would it be possible to remove the phone jack wall plate and replace it with a category 5 internet cover, using all of the little wires in the cat 5 cable instead of just the 4 that the phone lines use....then use that as our networking line, connecting one end to our router and cable line to allow cable internet access to both computers in my house?

if it works, would it tie up my phone line?
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

since when does a phone line use cat5? :o :o
BigHead
~2592~
Nathan
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Nathan »

i'll take one of these, that would be cool
Bethany is cool
Plasma2002b wrote:ill open YOUR port.....!
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

phone lines use cat3 usually. a cat5 cable can be used as a phone like to carry more than one line in a single cable.

yes those cat5 cables can be used as ethernet cables. you just have to make sure the other end of the cable will plug into a switch/hub instead of the telephone box.

the only think you need to do is on both ends, do the correct cable order (worange, orange, wgreen, blue, wblue, green, wbrown, brown)

it should work
Nathan
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Nathan »

wow, is there anything rob cant do?? :o
Bethany is cool
Plasma2002b wrote:ill open YOUR port.....!
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

but you forgot to mention the fact that standard CAT5 plugs are larger than telephone line plugs. CAT5 won't plug into a phone jack, or the base of a phone.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Re: home network

Post by Robpol86 »

JpCT wrote:...remove the phone jack wall plate and replace it with a category 5 internet cover...
the plastic terminators (or whatever theyre called) arnt part of the cat5 specification. hes going to change the jack on the wall from the standard 2pin jck to the 8pin jack
JpCT

Post by JpCT »

^^^correct...i got the cable installed today, modems up and running through my hub.

they did indeed use cat 5, i ran it myself during the building with intentions to use it as home networking but the phone company made other plans for it.

i got it set up as such..cable > cable modem > hub > wall + computer.....in another room it's wall > computer.

sound like it'll work? i didn't install the new jacks yet so i'm not sure.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

plugging a hub into one jack in the house and plugging a computer into another jack in the house wont work. you need a direct line from the hub to the computer. to do what your trying to do, you have to go into the cable box (i think its in the phonecompany part, not customer access, which you shouldnt open) and do some wireing things there. im not too sure on how phonecables are hooked up in the house.

what your trying to do is a bit complex
JpCT

Post by JpCT »

hm i'll figure this out. i had dsl set up that way. hub into wall, computer in a nother room into wall. hm
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

yea, if that post was tlaking about the past, you had a networked house with ethernet jacks, not phone jacks.
JpCT

Post by JpCT »

my last house was wired in the 50's and were not ethernet jacks. the dsl signal ran through the lines somehow
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

DSL can run thought Cat-3
BigHead
~2592~
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

What if he plugged a cross over cat5 cable into the hub and wall?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Matt

Post by Matt »

The fact of the matter is where the cables all lead to. They all touch, but not all the ones that make it a CAT5. If you make it CAT5 in one room in your house, the other end of that specific CAT5 cable isn't leading to anywhere (it is just dead at the phone box). Same thing with the end of the hub.

It looks like this (if a picture is more helpful)
(By the way, drawing on a laptop mouse pad SUCKS!!).

Yeah, the red lines are the ones u would hook up to are the black and red lines (black is normal fone, red is the extra CAT5). Once it gets to fone box, the red no longer exist....so it gets cut off.

Yeah...I hope that helps.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain