Multiple User "Profiles" for Same Screenname

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

jsu07

Multiple User "Profiles" for Same Screenname

Post by jsu07 »

It's kind of like just having many screennames and having different buddy lists on each.. but here's an idea that'll allow you to do it using 1 screenname.

When I say profile.. I don't mean the User Info.. I mean like.. Buddylist and Options.

My idea is.. with AIM+ when you login.. instead of having just "Screenname" and "Password".. you can have like "Screenname" "Profile" and "Password". Examples of Profiles would be like "Default", "Home", "Work", and what not.

This would be useful for the people that work in multiple environments. Sometimes you won't care who you talk to.. so selecting the Profile "Default" or something would pull up your own custom made profile which sets all the settings on login.. like it'll Allow all users to contact you.. and umm.. it'll Auto accept messages from users not on buddy list or something.

Another example would be.. you are at work and you only want to talk to the certain people that you like talking to while working.. so you don't get bothered by random people. Usually.. you would have to go into the preferences and click Allow only on buddy list and stuff.. but Profiles will allow just selecting a profile to set all the changes automatically. "Work" could be like.. an entirely different buddylist of co-workers or something.. and "Allow only on buddy list".

The profiles would just make going into the options and changing privacy settings, buddy icons, fonts and all the other settings easier when you want them to change..

I guess its kind of like saving your buddy list and then loading it again.. but iduno.. it'd be more conveinent if you can do it all before you login.

yea?
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

wow, very nice original idea.

I definitely see a use for such a thing.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

I agree

Post by EvilJolly »

this would be really nice to have. Perhaps you could have a way to save your settings which could include auto-accepting direct connections, turning sounds off, and changing your info so that people know where you are. That way when you're at work and your boss is standing right there your friend doesn't direct connect to you and send p0rn while he's watching.

Post by Guest »

that doesnt make any sence, just have your settings one way at work, and a different way at home...
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Very true ... AIM preferences are stored locally, only the buddy list is stored on the AIM server. At work you can have AIM set up to run totally differently than you do on your computer at home, school, etc.
-Mark
Big-O Software
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

were missing the topic of the original post. but while were at it, I wish AOL stored my profile on the server with my buddy list. This only makes sense. If people are wise they could tell what machine I am accessing aim from. :)

Post by Guest »

some people work at home... :P
idejsecrofkrad

Post by idejsecrofkrad »

Some people also take laptops from work to home and back.
skim32

I like this idea

Post by skim32 »

Just like having the ability to select different away messages, why can't we have the ability to select different profiles. Like a lot of time I have a certain set of profiles that I use repeatedly and I hate typing it up over again when changing from one to another. I feel this is a really good idea. Although not essential.
geekeeboy87
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by geekeeboy87 »

I love this idea. What especially dragged my interest was somebody mentioning a muting of the sound. I am currently using a program that does that and hides all the windows, but I could really appreciate the sound being off before I even sign on. This feature would enable me to work when I want to work and talk when I want to talk. If I understand this different buddy list thing correctly, then it should also take care of my problem of not having enough room on my buddy list. I support the integration of this idea into the next version of AIM +.
discipl4christ

multiple sn's?

Post by discipl4christ »

although this might be a very kool thing to have, but in the mean time, much of it could be solved simply with another screen name. then there is no blocking involved at all. i, personally, use several screen names, and only tell certain people about some of them, and then i have my main screen name that i use. the settings are solved by the different computers, as Mark stated earlier in this topic, and the buddies would be solved by multiple screen names.
The Ace of Hearts
A ship in harbor is safe,
But that is not what ships are built for.
--William Shedd