Discuss anything related to hkSFV.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

abekornelis
Just Registered
Just Registered

Running hkSFV in the background

Post by abekornelis »

Hello all,

is it possible to run hkSFV in the background?

I have a pretty large number of directories to manage. For most tasks (e.g. backup) I have created custom .bat files which I activate using a DOS box.
I could find no info on command line options for hkSFV, which made me wonder...

Thanks in advance for any info.

Kind regards,
Abe Kornelis.
===========
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Re: Running hkSFV in the background

Post by Big-O Ryan »

abekornelis wrote: is it possible to run hkSFV in the background?
Not really, but if you've enabled the "Reuse Window" option (Preferences:General) you can execute hkSFV.exe repeatedly and your tasks will be queued up if one is in progress. However, the hkSFV window will try to come to the foreground whenever you run it.
abekornelis wrote: I have a pretty large number of directories to manage. For most tasks (e.g. backup) I have created custom .bat files which I activate using a DOS box.
I could find no info on command line options for hkSFV, which made me wonder...
There's only one proper command-line option, and that's the path to an SFV/MD5 file (to check).

Are you interested in creating SFVs (or MD5s) from the command line?
-Ryan
Big-O Software
abekornelis
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Running hkSFV in the background

Post by abekornelis »

Yes I am very much interested in creating and verifying MD5 files from the command line. Or rather: from a .bat file that I can start from the command line. I guess it does not make much difference from the program's point of view. Anyway, I need to recursively step through a large set of directory trees, either to create or update md5 files for new and changed files, or to verify the integrity of all files in the directories. To do so manually for hundreds of directories is time-consuming, error-prone, tedious and laborious. In other words: ideally suited for automation, provided I can:
- start the program from a .bat file with options to regulated its behaviour (to bypass windows user-interface)
- redirect error messages and warnings to a .txt file for final check-up (need to verify whether all went wall)

Do you have any idea how this might be achieved?

Thanks in advance,
Abe Kornelis.
===========