Images saved in history

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Images saved in history

Post by Guest »

Subject tells all.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Hopefully a future version of AIM+ will be able to save smileys in the histories. The regular AIM save chat won't even get the smiley right in the html file it creates. Once the smileys start working, hopefully images will be next ... however, adding images will result in the downloading of the images themselves.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Smileys will almost certain happen eventually..

There's a technical issue at this time, though, that makes me pretty sure that images in logs aren't going to happen.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
qbproger
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by qbproger »

If images in logs do end up happening please make it optional. I send and recieve ocationally between friends, and I save them in my pictures folder. I don't need them in two places, and that would make the logging space required increase greatly for some.
-Joe
Falco98

Post by Falco98 »

I wrote a program that converts the logfiles created by AIM itself (if you have the feature enabled).. the logfiles AIM creates actually contain the binary data sent between direct-connecting users, and my program sorts it out and links it to the HTML files (pictures are shown and linked, whereas non-graphical files are simply named and linked). Of course, my program doesn't run with AIM, and doesn't make a running log like AIM+ does.. but i'd love to know how AIM+ implements it, since maybe I could help figure out a way to get the pictures logged. (and of course, if someone doesn't want a bunch of binaries in their logs, they can just delete them)..
My AIM is "Falco98mds" if any coders of AIM+ would be willing to discuss it..
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Falco98: I could save images from your conversations to log files fairly easily - the one thing that is making it impossible right now, is the '65k barrier'. (I cannot retrieve any data from the IM window beyond the first 65k. The 'data' I'm referring to is the HTML that contains both text and images. This is why the 'clearing window' message pops up during long conversations.)

So, I could easily save some images, small ones, where the image size + the size of any text in the window < 65k, but that isn't going to be most images.

[ I just spent a couple of hours trying to get around the 65k limitation, and I still haven't found a way. ]
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

BTW, I do also like the idea of linking 'sent/received files' messages to the files on your hard drive (of course, the link would only work if they're still in the place where you downloaded them to).

You can expect to see that in a future version of AIM+. :)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

yippie :D
Falco98

Post by Falco98 »

Can you tell me more about the 65k limitation? (like, i suppose in technical or programming terms). AIM's default logging function seems to be able to work around the problem, so i figure there must be some workaround.
BTW - that "clearing window" thing happened to me the other day unexpectedly.. the problem of course, is I use AIM 4.4's logging (i accidentally left AIM+'s logging on for some reason). This of course caused me to essentially lose half my conversation. The weird thing was, the AIM+ logger kept writing to the same older log file (as opposed to the new-day's file, since it happened shortly after midnight). I think it might be sufficient to simply date/file a chat by when the session begins - doing it any other way seems way too buggy and convoluted. ah well.
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

I have used AIM 4.4 a while back, if I recall correctly, once major difference between AIM 4.4 logging and AIM+

AIM 4.4 saved the chats when you closed the AIM chat window. If you stopped the AIM process (from task manager or however else) the contents currently in any chat windows did not get saved.

AIM+ logs chats in real time. That is, AIM+ logs everything as it shows up in the chat widnow and does not wait until the window is closed.

Perhaps by changing AIM+ to log in the AIM 4.4 way (at window closure), you whould get around the limit. Is the limit a variable size limit of some type?
sn0n
Addict
Addict

Post by sn0n »

what about those of us tat like to send files in IM :-)
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

For those of you who like to send files, we're thinking about linking sent/received files to their location on your hard drive ... so long as they haven't moved since you sent/received them this will be a handy feature.
-Mark
Big-O Software
jamori

Post by jamori »

iSteve530 wrote:Perhaps by changing AIM+ to log in the AIM 4.4 way (at window closure), you whould get around the limit. Is the limit a variable size limit of some type?
that is precisely the reason i switched from AIM4.4 logging to AIM+ ... if your computer randomly reboots during the day while you're gone or something you lose all those messages
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

Jamori,
I disliked AOL's logging feature for the same reason. Also, when you closed AIM whiule having windows open, you lost the logs of those windows. I do that often.
timrosenfeld
Addict
Addict

Post by timrosenfeld »

I've been saying this a lot... I want the AIM+ logging to be more like AIM 4.4 logging in that it saves all the extra stuff... also the viewer for AIM 4.4 was the internal AIM browser that's also called upon to open profiles... if you used it, then smileys would be there and formatting would remain intact

by extra stuff, I want it to save the images that are sent and recieved the linking idea wouldn't work with files that someone sent you. I know this is possible... maybe looking at how AIM 4.4 logs could help you make a better history logging/viewing system.