Small memory leak in AIM+ 1.0

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Small memory leak in AIM+ 1.0

Post by Guest »

When i have Aim+ running it makes Aim eat about 30 megs of memory and when aim is running by itself (no aim+) it only takes about 10 megs of memory

Post by Guest »

btw im running XP and the latest offical release of AIM
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Hmm,

This is interesting, I've never seen anything like this.. I too use Windows XP, latest AIM beta, and AIM+ (all the time), and I've never noticed AIM taking up an abnormal amount of memory (usually around 5mb), and AIM+ usually stays around 2mb, even after weeks of running it..

Is anybody else experiencing this?

-Ryan
Big-O Software
dbushea

Re: Memory Error

Post by dbushea »

I don't think AIM+ is causing the memory to be eaten. The more IMS you have open the more memory its going to take up obviously. Also remember aim windows have all the text you've typed to that buddy since you opened the im. So if you have 15 ims open with 2meg of text in them each then its going to take up 30megs at least. Also remember whats in that buffer isnt just standard text its also html for the fonts and colors. AIM+ isn't causing this memory error.

Thanks,
Dave Bushea
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

(It's a good thing I consider everything that's posted here...)

I have never experienced AIM+ or AIM eating up my memory, but I've had 3 reports now along these lines, so I decided to take a look at it today.

Now, there's really only one place AIM+ could be leaking memory, so I opened up the code and took a look -- and there we go, there is definitely a simple memory leak in AIM+ 1.0. I don't suspect it'll cause problems for anyone, but it's been fixed for the next release.

Thanks everyone!
-Ryan
Big-O Software