Spell check as you type

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

skudz
Addict
Addict

Post by skudz »

i think this idea is stupid to be honest with you guys. what if you meant to type something wrong and it just keeps fixing it for you. thats poop. have it as an option if this happens to be added. :/
MrZeebo
Just Registered
Just Registered

Well...

Post by MrZeebo »

That was the idea anyways, I think. It would only be enabled if you want to use it.

Also, the "common misspellings" it corrects are determined by you, so if you wanted to be making misspellings, you just wouldn't configure it to look for them.

I'm pretty sure many people would find this useful, it just depends on the person. I use this in Gaim and love it, as do other people. But for those that don't, you can turn it off -- and it probably should be off by default, just so that people don't get confused when their misspellings and abbreviations are being corrected and they don't know why :)

-Greg
AzNBoY0325

Post by AzNBoY0325 »

I agree with MrZeebo. There should be options within the spellchecking such as the automatic correction of some words and the ability to add certian words to a personalized dictionary so that acroynms (lol, brb, ttyl) wouldn't look incorrect to the dictionary. And the whole spellchecking thing should be an option altogether.
AndrewDiablo324

i think it would get in the way

Post by AndrewDiablo324 »

i think it would get in the way...BUT if it had like built in stuff lik "lol" and "lmao" and stuff it would be fine, but really its just aim theres no need to be perfect when talkin to ur firends or family :D
IM A SICK DOG!!! LOL
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

AndrewDiablo324 wrote:...if it had like built in stuff lik "lol" and "lmao" and stuff it would be fine, but really its just aim theres no need to be perfect when talkin to ur firends or family
...or when posting to forums (apparently). :evil:
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Tsuki720
Just Registered
Just Registered

Hehehe

Post by Tsuki720 »

Personally, I'd love to see it forced on the people who type so bad you don't have a CLUE what they're saying while typing to you.... Anyone know how irritating that is? "he yohw ru?" "Um...what?" "onohting." Ooooookay. It makes it a bit difficult to have a conversation, no?
Plus, with spellcheck usually there's an option to add a word to the dictionary, so you could add the words like "brb" and "ttyl" and so on, so it leaves them alone from then on. I love the idea. But i guess optional is fair :roll: :-D
Logan 5

Post by Logan 5 »

awesome idea...

You might wanna look over at TextPad for ideas. They don't have spellchecking standard, but you can download your own dictonaries and use it when you need it. Seems like porting the code that interactions with the dictionaries would be easier than going about a new system... plus there's already tons of existing dictionaries in many languages to download. :D