Spell check as you type

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Shane

Spell check as you type

Post by Shane »

I would like to see spell checking as you type you im.

spell check

Post by Guest »

a built in spell checker would be a really excellent feature. something that underlines misspelled words as you type them the way microsoft word does.
I know some people dont appreciate the real-time spell checking feature in word, since it makes just as much sense to run a spell checker on the whole document before you print it. but IM conversations are far more real-time than word-processing, and I think that AIM would be the perfect place for a spell checker like that. I often wish I had caught my typos and spelling errors before was too late.
I think a built in spell checker would be perfect.

Post by Guest »

gaim will do that. It's open source so perhaps some of it can be used in AIM+.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

A feature like this would be most useful, in my mind, if you're talking to someone important on AIM. I usually talk to friends, so it's not really a big deal if something gets spelled wrong :). It's definitely an idea for a future feature though.
-Mark
Big-O Software
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

yay!

Spelling was always taken for granted back in the email only days (spell check on send). If AIM+ could do it, I can once again my buddies will think I actually know the english language (of course I should, it is my 1st and only language).

:o
Nemessis
Addict
Addict

Post by Nemessis »

spell check as you type and highlight like ms word does. that would be kool. would there be anyway to tap into ms words dictonary to keep the download size low just like a media player useing another codecs?
Epi
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Epi »

That would OWN; some how tie it in with MS Office's dictionary
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

dictionary.com?

Post by EvilJolly »

I've noticed that on yahoo's game "Literati" which is basically a clone of scrabble, they use dictionary.com as their dictionary file, I don't see why we couldn't have this option as an alternative for users who don't have office installed.
war59312

Post by war59312 »

You guys should contact the creator's of Spell Magic.

http://www.alcodasoftware.com/

It checks words as you type just like microsoft word.

This would be great.

Thanks,
Will
God Bless The U.S.A.
MrZeebo
Just Registered
Just Registered

Alternative...

Post by MrZeebo »

Spell checking is definitely a great thing for AIM... however, a lot of the time when I'm sending IMs the #1 thing I care about is getting the IM sent as soon as possible (especially longer ones). I'm probably not terribly likely to take the few extra seconds to go back and check for underlined words and change them (especially in a heated debate -- which is when you'd want to come acress as the most intelligent ;-) ).

A different way to do spell checking (or a way to do it in addition to inline Word-style checking) would be similar to the way the spell checker plugin for Gaim works. Rather than checking your words against a dictionary, the user sets up some words they commonly mispell, and what they should be replaced with.

For example, I often type "ot" instead of "to", so I would enter "ot" as what to look for, and it would automatically be replaced with "to", no work neccessary on my part.

This also can let you have common acronyms such as "brb" automatically expanded, which I saw as another feature request on this board.

As an addition to the Word-style spell checking, I think this would be a good, fast, user-customizable feature.

~Greg
Last edited by MrZeebo on Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

I think Mr Zeebo hit this one on the head, this would satasfy both parties (spell checker and acronym auto-complete people). And I do admit that when I'm in a fast moving conversation, nothing is more annoying than having to go back and fix it to avoid looking stupid :P
AcceptTheCompliment

Post by AcceptTheCompliment »

whoa. i'm fully behind zeebo here, a fully-customizable thing like that would OWN.
Songfucious

Post by Songfucious »

um, if a spell checker is added. Do you think u could make it optional? I think it'd be a pain in the ass to see all these little underlines when i'm talking. ttyl, brb, lol, lmao? spell checker would have a hell of a time.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

We've said it once and we'll say it again....and probably again....

Big-O makes everything an option!

They're just cool like that. :D
Songfucious

Post by Songfucious »

sweetness