Volume Control

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

ronnie J

Volume Control

Post by ronnie J »

How about a slider to adjust the volume of your AIM sounds.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

That would be a GREAT feature to add. I'm not sure how possible this is, considering they're just .WAV files, and isolating only some files and not others may be difficult :(.
-Mark
Big-O Software

System Sounds and Multimedia folder

Post by Guest »

The volume control would have to go to the C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\AIM\Sounds folder.
If extra sounds are used, the volume control won't function.
Godmstr

my thoughts

Post by Godmstr »

Not everyone has it in the same directory.. I know i dont i am very anti netscape and refuse to use it. so i have just pure aim in my
c:\program files\AIM95\ directory so somethign coded for netscape wouldnt work for me once again making it very difficult to code but mabey if they put in a slider that controled the wave/direct sound volume level so u could adjust or or just find quieter sounds...
-------------------------------------------------------
Dont even ask you know your wrong...
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

This would be a great feature if one of the big-o guys can figure out how to implement it. I've been pondering this myself, but I can't think of any feasible ways to do it. The only way I can think is if you can interrupt AIM before each sound is played and somehow change the way that the wav is read into memory. I'm not even sure if this is possible, but if someone can think of a good method please post because I would like to see this option in AIM+. It's just really annoying when you're listening to music with friends with the speakers cranked up and then *RING* comes blaring out of your speakers distorting all of the music.
elitemrp

idea

Post by elitemrp »

aim+ could check the sound paths of each sound in aim, then set them the sound settings to none.. now it can create a temp dir, and copy all the sounds to that dir .. now when an IM comes, instead of AIM playing the sound, AIM+ does... and for sound volume, just recopy the wav and ajust its volume... although proccessing the wave and rencoding it would probably mean youd hear your new volume ajusted sound 5 minutes after someone ims you :)
timrosenfeld
Addict
Addict

Post by timrosenfeld »

I know there is some way to implement this... while using Winamp, I noticed that when I change it's volume, the volume for other sounds and the volume levels in the volume control dialog are not changed... so somehow they only change the volume levels for things playing in Winamp. Maybe they'd be willing to help you out
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

Yeah I have thought about that method elitemrp, and I came to the same conclusions as you, it would just be too slow, especially on older machines. And as for what you were saying tim, I was thinking about that also, and I don't know how you would do this without completely disabling the sound system that AIM uses and using a different one created by Big-O. I opened up Softice (a debugging program) and from what I can tell, the volume control is done by the decoder itself, so this is much easier to implement. Not to mention they are the designers of the program and it's a lot easier to add a function when you can just add it into the source code. :)
TheQwerty
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sound Profiles

Post by TheQwerty »

An AIM volume control has always been on my Wish List, but I'm not sure how easy it is to implement. Another item in the same category is perhaps the ability to have different sound profiles (like Windows and many Cell Phones these days). Each profile contains all the sounds and you can change or disable any of them. Thus by just changing the profile on the fly (maybe like the away message button that lists them) you can change all the sounds. Thus if you are listening to music and don't want any sounds from AIM you can just select a silent profile, or if you only want your alerts you can set up a different profile. I'm not a very experienced programmer but it doesn't sound like it would be too hard to implement.

TheQwerty
Jon8RFC
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Jon8RFC »

I'm feelin the volume control...I have a slidewhistle for IMs and "You have company" for log ons and both are loud and it gets annoying when i have music cranked up ande somebody IMs me or logs on...I vote YES to a volume control :)
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

slider! Or just a mute button. Perhaps the solution is now simpler with AIMv5, just find a way to change the sound scheme to sounds that are lower.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

Personally I would be happy with a mute button, I can deal without volume control. Just replace the AIM today button with something, it's not like anyone uses it anyways. 8)
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

yeah i could deal with a mute button too because i usually just turn off my aim sounds anyway they can be annoying
tone
nunubutt
Addict
Addict

Post by nunubutt »

grrrrr just turn off the music and rely on the flashes, thats wat i do. Making a volume jsut for that is kinda tacky. You can always turn ur speakers down or somethin. In my opinion it wouldnt be much use.
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

yeah volmue can be annoying but i do use it.........then when i get annoyed with it i just go and turn it off
tone