IM While Away

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

gig103

Alternative to stealth

Post by gig103 »

Is there a way to make it so that I can IM people while I am 'away' like in trillian??
etaine
Just Registered
Just Registered

IM while away

Post by etaine »

In my opinion an option to im while away is a great idea, i dont know how many times i have been sitting around and wanting to talk to one person but not wanting to have to come back from away status and have other people talk to me. ICQ and trillian had the right idea.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

I'm waiting for the big dogs to say something about this one. I'm not incredibly in tune with the innerworkings of the server that the official AIM client uses. And correct me if I'm wrong, but trillian doesn't connect to same one, and the server it uses does not support the same features such as direct connect, buddy icons, and most of the little goodies that we hold dear.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

EvilJolly wrote:I'm waiting for the big dogs to say something about this one. I'm not incredibly in tune with the innerworkings of the server that the official AIM client uses. And correct me if I'm wrong, but trillian doesn't connect to same one, and the server it uses does not support the same features such as direct connect, buddy icons, and most of the little goodies that we hold dear.
I think you're right about the Trillian / AIM server issues here. That's why every once in a while Trillian stops working until a new version is released, but it's also why Trillian can do some pretty neat things that you simply cannot do through the regular AIM servers.

However, I've been thinking about this issue a bit lately ... I was thinking that an acceptable work around may be to send the message, which would take down your away message as per usual, but then have AIM+ immediately put the away message back up. As long as the downtime is really short, there'd just be a quick flicker.

It's definitely not as good as just having the away message stay up 100%, but it's worth considering, I think.
-Mark
Big-O Software
rew
Just Registered
Just Registered

away message oscar/toc

Post by rew »

i dont know about the oscar/toc differences but i know that with toc you can send a message w/o changing your away status. basicly an away message is a regular message with a special flag set to 1. (look at the libfaim documentation, or maybe the toc docs if you want to know more) if oscar works the same as toc here, and i suspect it does, then it should be possiable to send a message w/o loosing your message. i think it is the AIM client that knocks you out of away mode, not the server.

going back to that special flag thing while i have it in my mind. i dont actually think that the bold "Auto response from..." is sent as part of the message. consider that it comes before the screenname and the screenname is not actually treated as part of the body of the message, but rather a seperate param. (i think. snac is way beyond what i normaly deal with)
lowtec

Post by lowtec »

If you want to talk to someone while away just send them a chat room invitation and you can talk with them and still be 'away' :)
Logan 5

Post by Logan 5 »

I'm pretty sure that it un-aways you when you talk in a direct connect mode, too... perhaps that is software based and not server based as you should be sending directly to the individual.

If you could look into that aspect, I'd be happy to just direct connect to the person I want to talk to and go away without any problems.

I could be wrong though :)
grinderf
Just Registered
Just Registered

IM while away

Post by grinderf »

when i ran linux/kde, i used gaim, and it could IM while away, while using the oscar server.
iceman
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by iceman »

i used to use trillian but i figured i'd try aim+ cause trillian was being kinda finiky. i can honestly say that this is the feature i miss THE MOST. i'm all for it. hell, if you're using C++ to write the aim+ software, i'll even code it for you ;)

if nothing else, put this feature in aim+
machines compute. humans think.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

I got it!

Post by Plasma2002b »

Well... your right about the un-away'ing as being part of the client side... thats for sure.

You can always put urself as away with that old trick and you will have a lil yellow icon next to ur name on their list... but your client wont really send them an autoresponse message when they IM you.

BUT... it DOES show up in your info.

If ya wanna set urself as away, just do this....
  • Find the away message icon on ut buddy list at the bottom.
    Click and hold, and select a message you already made and release.
    Press the escape key AS SOON as the away message pops up.
    REPEAT about 10 times.... lol, fast.
Now if ya wanted to do a message that ya dont have saved, ya gotta go through the preferences dialog and go to the away messages tab and find the thing that lets you set one and click the "Im Away" button and press escape and repeat... etc etc etc.... you get it

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

Sure you can do that, but you get that nasty "could not set away state" message every time you IM someone.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

.....ive never even heard of that message....?

its always worked for me

killcrap
Addict
Addict

Post by killcrap »

yea i hate that message. but if u goto ur aim prefs. goto ur away message thing. and make sure there insert in personal profile only so it wont say Auto response from ...
ZeroAvengerX

Post by ZeroAvengerX »

Big-O Mark wrote:I think you're right about the Trillian / AIM server issues here. That's why every once in a while Trillian stops working until a new version is released, but it's also why Trillian can do some pretty neat things that you simply cannot do through the regular AIM servers.

However, I've been thinking about this issue a bit lately ... I was thinking that an acceptable work around may be to send the message, which would take down your away message as per usual, but then have AIM+ immediately put the away message back up. As long as the downtime is really short, there'd just be a quick flicker.

It's definitely not as good as just having the away message stay up 100%, but it's worth considering, I think.
mark thats a great idea, but then if you have messages while you're away, you come back, they all appear onscreen and if you put a new away up those messages dont go back on the away message (try that sometime to understand what i mean) it just wouldnt work, but as i recomended before, look at the features on AIM Filter (it has what are called `fake aways` where you look away, and it shows in your profile, but doesnt auto respond - then again this i THINK uses another server (it claims to use your own computer as a proxy but im not sure i've done a lotta research on it lately if u wanna know there are SOME dangers to using it but nothing major)
- Eric
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

hey... that bring up a question... (im sure its probably somewhere on the forums, but yea)....

does AIM+ intercept the AIM packets? like, does aim have to go through AIM+ ? or is it just changing some stuff in API etc?

jus wondering.... lol, and no im not askin about that spyware.... (personnaly i dont care, cause it helps development)