IM While Away

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

ZeroAvengerX

Post by ZeroAvengerX »

im pretty sure AIM goes through AIM+, same way AIM goes through AIM Filter and if you close filter then AIM stops working, same with AIM+ they just dont give you the option to close it like filter
- Eric
Leah-la

Post by Leah-la »

I just wanted to bring this thread back to life. This is the only feature I reallie miss from Trillian, so I'd reallie love to see it in the newest release!
Keep up the good work guys :wink: I can't wait for the next version!
~makes her first post :D ~
"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" -Unknown
--------------------------------------------------------
Leah-la
BoFiS

Post by BoFiS »

Big-O Mark wrote:I think you're right about the Trillian / AIM server issues here. That's why every once in a while Trillian stops working until a new version is released, but it's also why Trillian can do some pretty neat things that you simply cannot do through the regular AIM servers.

However, I've been thinking about this issue a bit lately ... I was thinking that an acceptable work around may be to send the message, which would take down your away message as per usual, but then have AIM+ immediately put the away message back up. As long as the downtime is really short, there'd just be a quick flicker.

It's definitely not as good as just having the away message stay up 100%, but it's worth considering, I think.
However on the Macintosh and OSx versions of AIM, the away msg floats above all IM's and you can msg ppl while away and it'll autoreply to whoever msges you once, but then after that you're good to go. If you have it just keep sticking up the away msg quickly, then whenever people send you a second msg, they'd get the auto-reply. Since the Mac AIM can do this the right way, it must not be a server limitation as that uses the same server as our AIM.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

It's not a server limitation. Believe it or not...Trillian connects to the same server as AIM. I think setting and removing away messages is completely independent of sending and recieving messages. It just happens that AIM (at least the versions for Windows) take down your away message when you start talking to someone.
ecstasis0
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by ecstasis0 »

t is already possible for you to be online but seen as away...just simply go into your preferences and click on "away message" then choose a previously saved message a click im away several times...after approx. 10 clicks you will be seen as away but can still talk to people online...people look at your profile and can read your away message but you can talk to the people you want to...and this can be removed by just putting a new away message up and clicking im back
Leah-la

Post by Leah-la »

but you see, the whole point of this thread is to have it be a legitimate feature on AIM +, not just to be a trick. for those of us who don't want to have to deal with hitting the "I'm away" button for an hour, it would be nice to have a simple check box that says whether or not you want to automatically take down the message when you message someone.
"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" -Unknown
--------------------------------------------------------
Leah-la
ShadowSpirit12

Post by ShadowSpirit12 »

Good point Leah-la. Of course, if this feature were implemented, it would always be optional. GAIM achieves the effect you're looking for, although people still get the auto-response the first time. To close, all hail Lowtec! All you have to do is invite someone to a chatroom. Everyone else thinks you're away (which you are) and you get to talk to your buddy. The only thing missing is being idle, which you can achieve with Instant Idler. Not sure if the auto idle message shows up in chatrooms though. I use this and would not like people to keep seeing it if I were in "Away Stealth Mode." Peace.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Do you work for GAIM or something, Shadow Spirit?
punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

Well, if you really don't feel like talking to anyone but a couple of people, you can either:

A: Block them :D , or

B: Directly Connect to those certain buddies and sign off. You can still talk to the buddies you connected to.
Prouderesterest Moderator of the Schwippy.com forums.
Look! I can make an egg stand up on the first day of spring and winter! Can you? :D
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

c)You can put your away message on on your main screen name and sign on a different screen name and only talk to people you want to talk to....thats what i do at least =)
tone
ShadowSpirit12

Post by ShadowSpirit12 »

Do you work for GAIM or something, Shadow Spirit?
No, I don't work for GAIM. I just thought it would be nice for people to know that there are alternatives with the features they're asking for. Maybe other programs, such as GAIM, could be used until Dec. 11th. Also, maybe someone could use these programs as a way to improve AIM+. I've downloaded just about every AIM program there is, except for the malicious ones. It's just fun. :D I love AIM so much I have something written in "code" as my sig.
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

well we arent all like you lol download all aim programs, and what is 9 days or 8 days w/e its is (for aim+ 3.0 to come out)
tone
burningchaos16

Post by burningchaos16 »

aight shadow give me a hint on what it i so i can 'try' to crack it :)
Matt

Post by Matt »

t0ne wrote:well we arent all like you lol download all aim programs, and what is 9 days or 8 days w/e its is (for aim+ 3.0 to come out)
its officially coming out in one week and 2 days (next wednesday)

I AM SO EXCITED

wow...i never get this excited over a program...
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

ShadowSpirit12 wrote:I love AIM so much I have something written in "code" as my sig.
Yes, I noticed. ;) You really are an "AIM Junkie".