Prevent Accidental IM Closing

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

SuperD
Just Registered
Just Registered

Prevent Accidental IM Closing

Post by SuperD »

There should be an option for when an IM is sent to you (provided you accept it), you cannot close the window for ~2 seconds. That way, you can't close the window right as you are recieving a message, therefore missing it. Also, there could be another option to only apply this to messages sent by users on your buddy list.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

First of all, your icon is really scary looking. Secondly, I think this idea sounds good, perhaps we could also have it do the same for IM direct connects, file transfers, and talk. Nothing is more annoying than accidentally clicking cancel on a file transfer or accidentally closing a new IM when you go on an alt+f4 rampage (or maybe that's just me? :P)
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I think everyone hates it when that happens :). That's one reason the AIM+ history feature is so handy, and also when I use it most often -- to catch messages I accidentally close.
-Mark
Big-O Software
SuperD
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by SuperD »

Big-O Mark wrote:I think everyone hates it when that happens :). That's one reason the AIM+ history feature is so handy, and also when I use it most often -- to catch messages I accidentally close.
Very true, but it is very annoying to keep going back to look at that of the time. It takes a lot longer then having your close stopped. I usually use the history feature to see if I've told someone something already.

Oh, and with my icon--that's something I made a long time ago, one of my few animated gifs that I've made. Don't ask.
AcceptTheCompliment

that's a great idea

Post by AcceptTheCompliment »

could you also make it so that you can't type a response in a new window for those 2 seconds? because don't you hate it when you're trying to tell a friend that shaft is one bad motherf'er, and then a new window pops up and you accidently call your dad a motherf'er? (while technically true, it's still something of a faux-pas.)

that'd be wicked.

[censored by ryan]
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

AcceptTheCompliment: Intriguing.. this definitely happens to me quite often.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
jester22c

Re: that's a great idea

Post by jester22c »

AcceptTheCompliment wrote:could you also make it so that you can't type a response in a new window for those 2 seconds? because don't you hate it when you're trying to tell a friend that shaft is one bad motherf'er, and then a new window pops up and you accidently call your dad a motherf'er? (while technically true, it's still something of a faux-pas.)

that'd be wicked.

[censored by ryan]

Similar things have happened to me before. I'll be in the middle of a sentence and someone else will IM me and get the last half of the sentence. Goodness that has caused some confusion before...

For this I think it would be good to have an option where new IMs (or alerts) pop up in the background. That would fix that.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

I was sitting here thinking to myself....and I realized a couple things, the MSN style alert messages would solve this problem if it would also have windows popup minimized, and I guess that if all else people could look back into their history which is not really that big of a hassle. But this still doesn't solve the problem of accidentally cancelling file transfers and direct connects. I think it would be fairly simple to just have the buttons grey out for a second, or have an option to change the interval. I wish that AOL had implemented the direct connect feature differently, because popup windows are the root of all internet evil. Also tabbed IM windows would really revolutionize the way we use AIM and eliminate problems like this.
AcceptTheCompliment

Post by AcceptTheCompliment »

haha... sorry ryan, i'd usually stay away from words like that on here, cause it might make my point seem less valid... but you gotta admit, shaft IS a bad motherf'er.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

AcceptTheCompliment wrote:... but you gotta admit, shaft IS a bad motherf'er
I can't argue with that. :)
SlvrChaos

Tabbed IM windows.. good or bad?

Post by SlvrChaos »

SuperD wrote: "Also tabbed IM windows would really revolutionize the way we use AIM and eliminate problems like this."
hmm.. tabbed IM windows.. sounds like a good idea right? but what about those of us who are so used to hitting alt+tab or alt+esc to switch between IM windows... I personally hardly touch the mouse when chatting on AIM and I would hate to have to slow myself down to learn another system.. tabbed windows would be harder to use, sure you could make it so you use the tab button or some other combination of keys to switch tabs, but its still a change, and CHANGE IS EVIL!!! additions are good, but changing things causes confusion...
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Re: Tabbed IM windows.. good or bad?

Post by Big-O Mark »

SlvrChaos wrote:hmm.. tabbed IM windows.. sounds like a good idea right? but what about those of us who are so used to hitting alt+tab or alt+esc to switch between IM windows... I personally hardly touch the mouse when chatting on AIM and I would hate to have to slow myself down to learn another system.. tabbed windows would be harder to use, sure you could make it so you use the tab button or some other combination of keys to switch tabs, but its still a change, and CHANGE IS EVIL!!! additions are good, but changing things causes confusion...
Haha, I never thought of losing the alt+tab, that would suck! With AIM+, we try to never make anything CHANGE, just an option, so you can use it how you like :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

I'm starting to debate whether or not this even belongs in this forum anymore, but oh well here goes.....

As Ryan said, there would be an option to disable this of course, but why not build in alt+tab support to tabbed windows, I thought this was a pretty obvious feature to include if it hasn't been already. My monitor doesn't go to 1280x1024 <mumble>damn crummy 4 year old CompUSA monitor....</mumble> and I really value my desktop space.