Compressing the history folder using NTFS file system

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

elitemrp

Compressing the history folder using NTFS file system

Post by elitemrp »

I am running WindowsXP, with the NTFS file system. This allows me to use the "Compress contents to save disk space" option on the AIM+ History Folder, this reduced my history folder from 5mb to about 1mb.

I am just wondering if this is a good idea, are there any reasons why it wouldn't? All read/writing to the files/folders go through the XP compression system so there shouldn't be a risk of corruption (i.e. AIM+ doesn't do raw sector writing to write the logs :)) am I correct?

So far everything seems fine, the history files are updated correctly and read fine.

So, anyone ever have problems with the XP file/folder compression feature?
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I don't yet have much experience with NTFS's compressed folders, personally, but I don't think you should have any problems..

Speed might be an issue, keep an eye out for AIM slowing down on long conversations (with people you've already talked to a lot that day..). But again, you probably won't see much of a difference here, either..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
WedgeAntilles250
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Compressing the history folder using NTFS file system

Post by WedgeAntilles250 »

Nope, there shouldn't be any problems.

NTFS Compression is done file by file. It is not like the disk compression methods of old where it compressed the disk into one huge file.

When Windows detects that a program wants to access a compressed file, it reads the compressed file into RAM, decompresses it, then passes it onto the program which requested it.

When it comes to saving to a compressed file, when Windows detects that a program wants to write to a compressed file, it stops the normal write process, allows the program to write, but to RAM instead, when the program is done, Windows compresses it and writes it to the disk.

It all happens behind the scenes. You don't know it is happening.

When it comes to text, the NTFS compression works wonders due to ASCII data repetition. Therefore, a 104 KB text file can easily be compressed down to 24 KB.

If your system has enough RAM (128 MB or more) and enough CPU power (400 MHz or more), you will have no problems with speed.
Tom